Help, my hen is sick.

AmyMil

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2021
If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Monday evening, we noticed one of our six 7-month-old Dorkings acting really strange. Isolating, moving in slow motion, not really foraging when free ranging. Before they went in for the night, I offered some wheat berries and she ate a fair amount. I was relieved and thought she would be better the next day. She got up on the roost for the night and was out the next morning (yesterday). However, I noticed she still was not right. Sitting by herself. She came over and was interested in the treats I offered, but did not eat any. I took her out and offered softened feed. She pecked a couple of times, but did not eat. I felt her crop and it felt hard and she did not like it. I thought I had my diagnosis - impacted crop. I spent some time researching what to do. I brought her in and was ready to give her oil and separate her. By this time, her crop was not hard anymore, but it was mushy. So now I thought she might have sour crop. I do not smell any sourness on her breath. I gave her some oil anyway and massaged her crop. I also started garlic water. Her comb is bright red. Her eyes are clear. She seems alert when awake, but doesn't like to move a lot. She does not seem to have any respiratory issue. She had white runny poops that also have brown solids. She has poop on her feathers around her vent, which was so difficult to clean, I had to cut some feathers. I offered kefir, which she refused. She did take some plain greek yogurt, although not a whole lot. I bought some probiotic/electrolyte powder and gave her a little. This morning, she has some solid poop in the cage, but still not wanting to eat or drink. I let her out and she had white runny poo with some solid brown again. I started corid in her water, but I am having to use a syringe to get any in. She is perky enough that she is putting up quite a struggle with it. I checked her for mites and see nothing. I have looked at all poops and see no evidence of worms, but did order some fenbendazole which will be here Friday. Her crop still seems mushy today. It seems like it is not empty, but I am new to this so not sure. I have felt her all over for being egg bound, but I don't feel anything. Would she be pooping if egg bound? Her poops overnight were fairly sizable. Could she have an impaction lower than the crop? I read somewhere about a molasses flush. What is this and would it help? Although if this is sour crop, maybe not a good idea. Do they stop eating and drinking with sour crop? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Not sure. I brought her in about 24 hours ago. No egg while inside. We have six chickens and get 3-5 eggs/day. One day we did get six, so we believe they all do lay, but never know who is laying on a given day unless we happen to actually see it.

She pecked a few scrambled eggs and some grit, but still really no appetite. Not drinking water unless I force it. she walks around slowly, but mostly just stands around.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 14
more pics

Attachments

• chicken 2.jpg
    chicken 2.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 12
  • chicken 3.jpg
    chicken 3.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 14
  • chicken poop.jpg
    chicken poop.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 15
  • overnight poop.jpg
    overnight poop.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 14
I also thought about vent gleet, but don't know how that would tie in with the not eating.

I did buy her some probiotic and electrolyte powder, but I will also add ACV. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom