Help, my hen is sick.

Yes, saw her trying to clean her hind end. I read about giving papaya seeds for an impacted crop. Have you heard of that? Apparently, they have an enzyme that breaks stuff up. I bought a papaya, but not sure if I should try it.

After more research, I found a description of her crop that fits - doughy crop. I have read that it can be as a result of coccidiosis, so I might be on right track with corid. I also read about giving over the counter yeast medicine. Is this vaginal cream given orally? I also ordered acidified copper sulfate which is supposed to help. Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

The poop in the picture is definitely not healthy normal poop. If you want to feed her anything, I would recommend a bit of wet bread. Just rip up some bread and soak it. My sick rooster ate it but I'm not sure about your hen. I don't know too much about crop illnesses, but I hope she gets well soon!

Thank you. She is on day 4 of Corid. She seem perkier and poops are better. Still not a great appetite, but eating some. When Corid course done, I am going to deworm.

She is better. Not losing weight and eating better, but still not totally normal. You wouldn't know it if you didn't pay attention. I give them treats and they all gather to eat. This hen is right in there, but when I watch her, she pecks a lot but doesn't necessarily eat like the others. She is also the first to leave the food area. She must be getting some nutrition, because she isn't losing weight. I have no idea if she is laying, but I doubt it. Thanks for the inquiry.

She seems to be OK. I cannot tell if she is laying or not. We have six chickens but have only gotten six eggs a couple of times, but not since this one was sick. We have had 5 eggs several times. My guess is that she is not laying. I am worried that she was/is having internal laying. I guess if she is and it persists, it will eventually kill her. I will say that I tried to put her with the other chickens quickly. She wouldn't drink in the house, but when I put her out with them, I saw her drink long drinks. I have decided that I will only separate a hen from the flock when absolutely necessary. Its just too stressful for them. The only thing I did was the Corid. I am doubtful she had coccidiosis, because it seems like others would have had it too. I did give probiotic/electrolytes in their water for a while after treatment. I did not follow up with any other treatments as she is doing better and I want her to get stronger. I am gathering a range of meds and treatments to have on hand. It was awful to have to try to procure these after she got sick. She did have doughy crop. I massaged it regularly and for the first couple of days I did not give her anything starchy. Only yogurt, meal worms, scrambled eggs, etc. I was trying to avoid sour crop. I ordered acidified copper sulfate that others have said help with crop problems. I have not used it as she seems better. I am changing their water everyday with a clean washed bowl (to avoid coccidiosis). I am chopping up food scraps really well now (to avoid any crop impaction). I have done a lot, but really I think she got better on her own. Let me know how yours does.

Back
Top Bottom