HELP! MY HEN LAYED EGGLESS EGG!!!

They may eat it, especially during times you don't see. Every chicken uses grit on some level, just not much. Oyster shell breaks down faster than conventional grit so they use more of it 'cause it's a calcium supplement.

Do you feed a lot of treats? Do they free range at all? Or is their only access to any food layer feed?
They used to be free range, but we made a nice big fence for them 2 days ago and for the past 2 days they were in there. Do you think egg shells will work too? Also my hen is only 4 months old, i think that she got this disease really early for her age.

It's not a disease. It's hormonal and nutritional. It's not contagious.

If she's only four months, she just started laying. In which case she will probably outgrow it. It's probably hormonal.

Just provide a little dish of oyster shell (Or yes, crushed egg shells are fine too) and wait it out.

That's what I would do.
The only other thing you could do is isolate her and watch her closely for other symptoms.

It's not a disease. It's hormonal and nutritional. It's not contagious.

If she's only four months, she just started laying. In which case she will probably outgrow it. It's probably hormonal.

Just provide a little dish of oyster shell (Or yes, crushed egg shells are fine too) and wait it out.

That's what I would do.
The only other thing you could do is isolate her and watch her closely for other symptoms.
Thank you so much, that helped me a lot. I got super worried for her, but now I am a bit calmer. I will give her some egg shells because I have a lot of them.

Here's a good article;
https://groworganicforlife.com/blog...-lay-eggs-with-soft-shells-or-without-a-shell

"
The first thing to check from your flock is its age. Soft eggs or eggs missing shells are common to first-time layers than older hens. The biological framework of younger hens is still undeveloped and needs a little more time to get used to laying.

CALCIUM DEFICIENCY
Another reason is not enough calcium in your hens’ diet. We have a tendency of feeding grower rations to young hens while older ones get layer ration. Grower feeds have less calcium as compared to layers. Your hens will need enough of this nutrient to support the building of egg shells.

If you notice your hens, young or old, laying soft eggs for the first time, switch them to a layer ration. Most of the time, this works and you will notice the subsequent eggs of your hens are now normal and healthy. Otherwise, feed your chickens with a calcium supplement to support their growth."

And another;
https://www.myfrugalhome.com/why-hens-sometimes-lay-shell-less-eggs/

Hello everyone. I wanted to give you guys an update on my hen. Today I gave her yogurt, and egg shells. I also added electrolytes in her water. She ate and drank all three, and I kept on giving it to her. Right now I just came back from outside and she was not doing good. She keeps sitting in different places and has her eyes closed. She is like in the corner of our fence. Her comb is pale. I don't think there is anything else I can do. I am very worried for her. Does anybody have more suggestions what I can do to help her. She has the same symptoms as my other hen that passed away with this sickness. I get my hens from hoovers hatchery, and I think the Rhode Island Reds at hoovers hatchery have a genetic issue

1D6DF358-925B-485E-B93D-FF9896FA53C8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom