HELP! MY HEN LAYED EGGLESS EGG!!!

No! Salt is bad for animals and chickens! Very dangerous! So you want to stay away from that. Salt licks are something of the past like for deer and ruminant type animals.
I don’t have ruminant animals so I don’t have a reason to have knowledge of using salt licks except for deer, bear, or hunting type situations for watching them as in scouting animals to be hunted in the fall pre season and putting them out for them. I would provide electrolytes for my chickens only like save a chick in their drinking water and probiotic mixes. As to the oyster shell you can either put it out free choice in a separate dish or you can buy layer feed with it mixed right in with it in the feed recipe. You have that choice. I prefer to buy mine separate and let the chicken choose how much she needs. If I see that a hen is being bullied off the feed then she will more than likely not be bullied away from the oyster shell as much and that is probably a good thing. That way she can pick up the extra calcium for sure and not miss it. It just fits the way I feed better. I use a cup system and it helps me and mine monitor and waste less feed from day to day and mine is a growing flock right now with a few more mature than others so it helps me out.

I don’t have ruminant animals so I don’t have a reason to have knowledge of using salt licks except for deer, bear, or hunting type situations for watching them as in scouting animals to be hunted in the fall pre season and putting them out for them. I would provide electrolytes for my chickens only like save a chick in their drinking water and probiotic mixes. As to the oyster shell you can either put it out free choice in a separate dish or you can buy layer feed with it mixed right in with it in the feed recipe. You have that choice. I prefer to buy mine separate and let the chicken choose how much she needs. If I see that a hen is being bullied off the feed then she will more than likely not be bullied away from the oyster shell as much and that is probably a good thing. That way she can pick up the extra calcium for sure and not miss it. It just fits the way I feed better. I use a cup system and it helps me and mine monitor and waste less feed from day to day and mine is a growing flock right now with a few more mature than others so it helps me out.
Sav-A-Chick has quite a bit of salt in it. :)

Cuttlebones are a very common source of calcium for pet birds. I've never used it for chickens but I don't see why not—besides not being very cost effective.
Gotcha! Glad y’all aren’t over my head or I am not swimming in sarcasm anymore possibly! Lol! I would agree that for where I’m from the cuttlefish for any part of anyone or anything’s diet plan would not be cost effective. 🙃😜

Is this a joke or are you being sarcastic? Cause I am totally lost on this remark again also. I feel like I am reading one of those Granny’s gone and done it again threads after drinking too much and I don’t drink.
its not a joke, do you know what cuttlefish bones are? i live on the beach and they frequantly wash up on the shore, get one and stick a nail in one then hang it in the coop, it improves egg shell quality!

its not a joke, do you know what cuttlefish bones are? i live on the beach and they frequantly wash up on the shore, get one and stick a nail in one then hang it in the coop, it improves egg shell quality!
Yes. I actually do know what they are. I was just messing around or kidding around with you on that because it sounded so strange or out there. But I do know. I actually do have three college degrees but don’t tell anyone and my daughter has two in culinary.

Sorry guys for not replying back, i didn’t check on BYC again. My hen was doing better but today she wasn’t active much and she pooped out egg whites

Back
Top Bottom