Help! My Hens are dying

ScorpioHen

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
Hi I am new here, but praying someone can help me find answers. I had a hen get diarrhea a few months back but otherwise completely normal in eating, drinking, etc. After 2 months, she started getting very dirty looking and unkept. She was a white hen, a leghorn, but she just kept getting dirtier. The diarrhea just kept getting worse as well. I was giving her epsom salt soaks, Corrid, electrolytes, vitamins, probiotics, etc to try to help, but nothing worked. After 5 months, just overnight she went from fine to extremely sick. She had all the symptoms of a hen with salmonella....the purple tip comb, dirty appearance, etc. She died within 24 hours. I have another hen now starting with pretty bad diarrhea but still ok otherwise. I am afraid she has caught whatever is going on. I only have 2 hens left as I have lost the rest to this condition. I am unable to take any to a vet or do any testing. I just can not afford it. I have had a lot of trouble with rats and am afraid they may have caught something from them. I just do no know what to do and I am so afraid I will have to bury yet another hen. I seem to lose one ever 10 days lately. If anyone know of something I can do or get from tractor supply or over the counter, please let me know. I am willing to try anything. I wish I could take them to a vet but it is just not meant to be. Thank you ahead of time.

They eat the regular chicken feed...16% protein. Occasionally they will have 5 grain scratch and maybe once a week some kitchen veggie scraps. I have never wormed them, but I have also never seen any worms in their poop. I gave them the Corid for 21 days because they one that just passed was really bad with diarrhea, so I used the full treatment. I did the 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon of water on Corid. Other than this I have not done anything because I am just at a total loss. The last hen, when she died, she looked like the photos I see of salmonella from rats, so that is what made me think it may be from them. But I just do not know anymore. My one hen is basically pooping very runny brown water right now and it has a little solid in it with the white. This is exactly how the other hens started before they died.

I gave them the Corid for 21 days because they one that just passed was really bad with diarrhea, so I used the full treatment. I did the 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon of water on Corid.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.
Hard to know why she died, but you don't mention her laying eggs. A lot of hen have reproductive issues which can cause similar symptoms, but you would have to have a necropsy performed to really know. Your state lab will do this for you and give an analysis or if you are up to it you can do an informal one on your own looking at the organs, digestive and reproductive system.

21 days on Corid is a long time. Dose is 2 TEASPOONS per gallon of water, not Tablespoons and usually it's administered for only 5-7 days.
If you have given it for that long, then I'd give all your hens vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine). A good choice would be Poultry Cell or if you wish and don't have many hens, then give each one 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for 2 weeks.

The one that is now showing symptoms - can you please get photos of her and her poop?
Do look her over for lice/mites and make sure her crop is emptying.

I will try to get some photos. I gave her a sit bath today, soaking her in epsom salt water. She was so messy in the back although still has brown diarrhea, she did have some poop stuck to her, so I got her all cleaned up today and I started them back on Corid again. They were on the Corid treatment a few months ago, but she is getting so bad, so fast, that I am afraid that there is not much time left for debate or anything. I have a feeling this is going to take her within a week. ALL signs I have read about are pointing to her needed a antibiotic for salmonella bacteria infection. I CAN NOT get any antibiotic for her, it is just not possible. I have a little left from my dog (Cefpodoxime Proxetil) and wondering if I should use it. I do not see where it may hurt because she is going downhill so fast. To make matters worse, I have a viewing and funeral to attend the next 2 days. I am afraid by the time this is over for my family member, my hen will be worse, dying or already gone now. I feel helpless right now.
Thank you for the 2 Teaspoon of Corid correction. I will have to get some B1 for her too. There was a lady that told me a long time ago to do 2 Tablespoons per gallon, that is why I did that much. Hope I did not cause more harm than good.
Checked her for lice and mites as well today, she is clean! has nothing and is the picture of health by looking at her. I will try to get poop photos as well.

I am going through this exact thing right now ! Lost 11 in 2 weeks . I have a necropsy being done and I’m currently waiting for results

I'd order and start giving them this-
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-w-aqua-sol-20-ppm/

I've saved many a chicken on thr point if death with this stuff. I suppose if it doesn't work, then you're not out too much. How big of a water container do you have for them? I would also separate any that you even think could be showing signs.

Back
Top Bottom