HELP my holland doe has a stillborn litter

Homefarm162

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
35 days ago my 2 year old holland doe was bred. She does have a dwarf gene so she is a bit small. On Day 33, she started pulling fur. The fur pulling lasted till day 34. She started bleeding from her genitials that afternoon. No babies. Today we were at the the vet and they gave us three options. 1: go in for surgery ( they also said rabbits don't do well with it, my holland cookie passed away right after her surgery a few months ago) 2: give her labor inducing meds (her pelvis might be too small so she is at risk of dying) 3: see if she absorbs the kits and or wait till she passes them. The vet confirmed that there are 3 dead kits in her. Any advice on this?

Never had that problem when I raised rabbits but given the odds from your Vet, #3 is the least invasive but understand she still may not make it. You could go for surgery & have her spayed at the same time although you lost on after surgery once. This is a tough one, either way it's a gamble....Sorry only you can make this decision

Is this a breeding program doe, or a pet? If you had planned on getting kits from her, it sounds like that won't happen. If she's a pet, then you'll have to wrestle with yourself and try and figure out the best thing to do to try and preserve her life. If this is a doe that you have for breeding, and your plan was to get kits from her... well, if it was me, I'd probably put her down, and spare the poor thing all the medical trauma.

I had a very very good goat, that I had paid a lot of money for, who had her kid die inside her. We tried to do the caesarean on her, but, the dead kid spread bacteria inside her. This scarred the uterus. The doe was unable to conceive (she did survive the procedure but it was touch and go) and eventually we had to put her down due to other severe health issues, not related to the first one. So I learned: the bacteria in there can cause damage that they can sure recover from, but most likely they will not be sound breeding animals anymore. If your rabbits are livestock, that is one thing, if they are pets, that's a different story.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that. I wish you the best in this really tough situation.

I'd be inclined to go with the Pitocin. If she was bleeding, you know the cervix is open. I have helped numerous does deliver stuck kits; it's surprising how large a kit many can pass (sometimes days later). I've also had a couple of does pass mummified remains of babies when they had litters, so I know they can survive that, too.:confused:

I would also induce labor. She should be able to pass the kits (although it may be difficult).
Letting her mummify them would probably be ok, too. I have a doe who basically retained her whole litter with no ill effects. However, keep in mind that too many mummified kits can lead to a sterile doe.

Back
Top Bottom