help my injured baby pet chick

pietru

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I have a baby chick as a pet at work & someone stomped on its leg with the wheels of the computer chair. I do not know if it its just badly bruised or broken but the little baby keeps protecting it with its wing and it got quite black & blue now & is keeping it high & the 'fingers' are like in a punch position.
I have put him on sawdust & shredded papers but he keeps trying to sleep & only wakes up to eat & drink. He's just 4 wks old & really don't know how to help, I've put on surgical spirit & gave him paracetamol to heal the pain but I'm really worried about him making it.
Please help as I don't want my little baby gone :'(

I would appreciate if I could get a reply as quickly as possible. He already survived one night. How likely is it he survives????

Poor little thing shouldn't have been lose on the floor like that... Can you carefully examine it are there any bones protruding? Is it the toes or the leg? I suppose you could make a little splint but I'm afraid you're going to have to research here a bit because I have no experience with this one.

As I have examined previously there are no bone showing anywhere. We did not notice he managed to jump out of the box where we keep him, and only realised when we heard him screaming. Is it normal that he's laying on his side? Will he be ack to normal or is he going to die??

Awwww little guy! i have heard people snap popsicle sticks in half and put them on each side of each leg then wrap it in Vet Wrap ( the wrap that they use on horses) It might help... Hope he survives
fl.gif
hugs.gif

We have tried to put popscle stick but my bf who owns a farm said it won't work the way it is. I think the problem is mostly in the joint & 'toes'

Quote:
Hmmmm... I heard of people use popsicle sticks and a band aid for spragle leg (think thats wat its called) maybe wrap the foot to but less pressure on the foot and see if he will put it down and uncurl his "toes"

Its just been yesterday afternoon he got hurt. Yesterday he had a bruise that was bleeding but today he curled up his toes & held high his foot. Am I doing the right thing putting surgical spirit on & lay him in sawdust & shredded papers? How long should I wait to see improvements?

I would leave him alone. Don't pick him up, keep him warm and quiet, help him eat and drink. Joint and tendons are traumatized and it may take a week or two before he begins to use that leg, be patient, it will take longer to be able to use it normally. Just give him a lot of love and TLC. Treat him like he's your little sweetheart. There was a lady here in the last week or so with a rooster who had been attacked. Same thing. It's a long thread but he continues to improve. I had a cat mauled by the neighbors dog. The vet said it was a wait and see. It took two weeks for her to begin to use that leg. Until then I had to make a place for her to crawl around safely.

He's on chick starter right? I believe that has antibiotics so you should be okay there. For my cat who was injured she had punctures so the only other thing the vet prescribed was antibiotics. Besides being black and blue and a little blood, the leg seems fine otherwise? How is the coloring? I would refrain from handling him though for now. Let him get through the shock. He's eating now and that's everything. He survived the night and that's even better.

Back
Top Bottom