Help! My keets keep dying!

we2hens

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012
I have never had guinea keets before. I ordered 30 keets from a hatchery and after 4 days (yes, I know that's way way way too long) in the mail, they finally arrived. There were some dead on arrival, and since then I've had one die almost every day. Total, I have lost 1/3 of my flock.

Any ideas on why they may be dying? Too much stress from shipping? Would they still be dying off if that was the case? The last one died yesterday.

They have a problem with pasty butt too, but I have been cleaning that and put oil on their rear-ends.

I don't know what's going on and why they would be dying. The temperature seems to be ok. They are all over the brooding area - not just right under the light and not off to the sides. I have them in my living room, so there's not a lot of fluctuation in temp at night vs. during the day.

I am at a total loss and very frustrated.
sad.png

This is my first time ordering from this hatchery and I'm not impressed at all.

If you haven't already get electrolytes in their water and dip their beak in the water, keets are get more stressed. Is your living room a real active place?

Last edited:
I'd say they are dying from a combo of shipping stress, too many temperature fluctuations while in transit (hence the pasty butts), dehydration and borderline starvation. Toxins build up quickly in keets with pasty butts, that could be too much for them in their weakened state.

Are they eating? Are they drinking? Have you dipped everyone's beak in the water? I agree, electrolytes, with vitamins if possible, but they also need high protein starter feed to regain their lost strength. You might want to offer them some crumbled boiled egg yolk in addition to the starter feed. And just to double check something easily over looked, what medication is in your starter feed?

Sorry for your losses, and your struggle. Very sad situation to have to deal with. I don't envy you.

I hope the hatchery reimburses you.

Back
Top Bottom