Help my mallard drake :(

duckinlovin

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2016
Omaha ne
He is about 1.5 years old and has started to chase his tail. At first I giggled but now I'm thinking something is wrong. He acts as though he is aggravated with his bum. Please help. I just started putting him outside for a few hours a day this past month. He is seriously annoyed with something in his nether region

WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOU SUSPECT INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION:
*Give mineral oil to attempt to lubricate and loosen the object
*Give electrolytes and vitamin water (available at the feed or pet store)
*Do not feed, except in tiny amounts like a cricket or two
*Have a blood test to rule out metal poisoning and parasites
*AVOID GIVING GRIT OR TUBE FEEDING
*Let your duck sit in a warm tub
*Request an ultrasound
Once the intestines have burst there isn't anything that can be done--at least that's what I was told. The harmful intestinal juices leak into the body cavity and cause infection. If your duck's intestines have burst you may hear him/her repeating a small grunting sound, especially if you feel the soft belly area between the legs. This is where the discomfort will probably be. Get to the vet as soon as possible. If the intestines have burst or there is a case of peritonitis, the feces will have a strong, infection-like, and fetid odor.

http://kingofdoodles.blogspot.com/2011/06/signs-of-intestinal-blockage-in-pet.html

I'm not sure at all. I'm watching his poo poo activity and eating. I looked and it may sound like a blocked intestine which sounds fatal. He isn't eating or pooing much which is so abnormal. Has anyone seen a duck get annoyed with its booty before??

I would get him into a tub of lukewarm water and let him rinse off well - and look him over stem to stern (bill to tail). Look closely at his vent. Does he have a prolapse? Fly strike? Gleet?

Maybe something stung him.

I looked at his bum as much as I could and dug through his feathers. No sign of pests. Can't determine if there is an ingrown feather. I can see new feathers forming and maybe that is aggravating him. I'm watching his poo situation. He's not pooing a lot however I think it's because my 4 month old female mallard is bossy and shoes him out of food when he tries to eat. I'm combating that by holding her while he eats. Just as a precaution I have made an appt with an avian vet. I'll keep you posted! Thank you for all your insights

Back
Top Bottom