Help. My new chicks are sick

Could you go back and try to delete some of the multiple copies of pictures? That would make your thread easier to read by more. At the bottom of the post with pictures, just go back and hit the edit icon.

I would put some plain Neosporin twice a day on the eyes of the ones with eye scabs, since those can become infected with a secondary bacterial infection.

Please NEVER put baby chicks in with adult hens... they are WAY too young! They shouldn’t be put in until they are fully grown and even then there can be problems...this could be infected wounds or a disease. You will need to find a coop for the chickens until they are big enough to be introduced. Try treating the sores with a cream designed for poultry and giving them some antibiotics. Do they seem sick apart from the sores?
They look fine except for that and the eye. How do I get antibiotics?

Antibiotics will not treat fowl pox since it is caused by a virus carried by mosquitoes. The only antibiotic I would use, is antibiotic ointment in the eyes with scabs, since pox can create a good environment in the eye for bacterial infections. Here is some reading about fowl pox:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

They look fine except for that and the eye. How do I get antibiotics?
Look after them, make sure they eat and drink well Andy stay warm. Fowl pix is slow spreading, but it still can get to your main flock, wash your hands very well between, maybe even change clothes. I think an antibiotic ointment might help? You could t y searching for it online.

Does anyone know if paw paw cream is safe? It might help soothe, but then again, it wouldn’t dry the sores out. It isn mainly petroleum jelly and paw paw extract. I can’t see anything being harmful, so in general, is this ok for chickens? Like, if they have a cut or something? Probably want something that would dry out though for this particular situation. I just realised there’s this antisetic and anaesthetic powder stuff I have, can’t remember the name but it tries to stop infection and soothes and dries out scabs

Look after them, make sure they eat and drink well Andy stay warm. Fowl pix is slow spreading, but it still can get to your main flock, wash your hands very well between, maybe even change clothes. I think an antibiotic ointment might help? You could t y searching for it online.

Does anyone know if paw paw cream is safe? It might help soothe, but then again, it wouldn’t dry the sores out. It isn mainly petroleum jelly and paw paw extract. I can’t see anything being harmful, so in general, is this ok for chickens? Like, if they have a cut or something? Probably want something that would dry out though for this particular situation. I just realised there’s this antisetic and anaesthetic powder stuff I have, can’t remember the name but it tries to stop infection and soothes and dries out scabs
Hi. Do you know what you wrote about that can dry it out?

Please NEVER put baby chicks in with adult hens... they are WAY too young! They shouldn’t be put in until they are fully grown and even then there can be problems...this could be infected wounds or a disease. You will need to find a coop for the chickens until they are big enough to be introduced. Try treating the sores with a cream designed for poultry and giving them some antibiotics. Do they seem sick apart from the sores?
No

Back
Top Bottom