HELP!!!!!!!! My one girl is VERY SICK WHAT CAN I DO??

Well, I haven't wormed any of my birds ever and they free range. However, after worming, do throw out the next 10 days or so of eggs. One way to confirm the type of worms to make sure you are giving the right drug for the right type is to take a fecal sample to the vet and ask for a "fecal float" test for worms/paracites. Because if it's not worms, it could also be a form of cocci that doesn't cause bloody stools.

I was just sitting with her again and her breathing is calmer. I'd like to think she's feeling the slightest bit better and not instead fading away, but I can't tell. I have her in a dark room and I'm playing meditation music for her. I did mention we're in California, right? I have to say that I have a elderly cat that I was told 10 weeks ago had 1-2 weeks to live and I play this same music for her and she's hanging in there and doing better than she was, so now I'm playing the music for the hen. :) Like I said, I'll do anything!

i'm glad to hear your hen is feeling better. i'm sure the music helps. i have a meditation music cd i played to my kitty when she was sick.

i do agree with silkiechicken's comments. i would wait on giving it to your chickens until you can have a vet do a fecal float. You don't want to throw antibiotics at an animal that either doesn't need it or does not target the specific problem. And i would not give the wormer to your sick girl at all right now.

It sounds like you are doing a lot for her. If she has been feeling poorly and not getting enough to eat, she may just need time to heal. Please keep posting and letting us know how she is doing. i will send healing thoughts your way (i live in California, too.)
smile.png

hi...hows the hen?..i hope she gets better for you!!...i read your post and you are doing a great job to try and save her!!.....i was wondering..are you syringe feeding her?...if so..could she of gotten any in her lungs?..or is she eating at all on her own?...i hate syringe feeding my birds((but i have done it with babies, when i had to))...i always get so nervous that i'm gonna drown them...you are a great person for doing all of this for her!...bless you..Wendy

I am syringe feeding her and I had that thought....how do I know where this is going? Most times she seemed to "chew" after I gave her some, but sometimes the drops just slid down. ugh. who knows? I can't stand thinking that I am drowning her trying to feed her. I just checked on her and changed her towels. Doing the third load in the wash today. It just runs right through her. poor thing.

ahh!!..i feel for you!!
sad.png
..the poor baby!....is she acting awake at all?...will she like eat of the tip of a spoon...?...its tough...like i said..i feel for you!..cause you dont wanna let her starve..but you dont want to drown her either....
barnie.gif
...i wish i knew more to help ya!...maybe try heating up some of the food you have been giving her(just slightly warm)...to see if she'll go for it herself?....how is she breathing?....Wendy

Hi Wendy...just checked on her again. Her breathing is very shallow...mouth barely open. Earlier today she would open her mouth wide on each breath like she was gasping for air. I still don't know if this is better or worse. She has only barely opened her eyes a couple of times today. When I changed her towels her body was completely limp.
sad.png

She's so out of it I don't think she'd take anything (food/water) on her own.

...also..i forgot to tell you...(you probably already know this)..but...if you are syringe feeding...((and..i'm not sure if this goes for chickens...but for other birds it does))...when you syringe feed...you have the bird facing you...(you are both face to face)..and you always put the syringe in the right side of the beak.........with the syringe pointing towards the left side when it is IN the beak......god..i hope i explained that clearly...its hard to explain it right...
he.gif
....Wendy

..hi....if she has no swallow reflex..you cant really syringe feed her..cause then it will most likley go in the lungs.......gosh...i wish i could help you more!...can chickens have honey?...i know honey will sometimes revive some animals enough to at least swallow..so you can get something into her....maybe a dab of honey on her tounge?...maybe someone here will know that answer?.....i'm sorry:(..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom