HELP!!!!!!!! My one girl is VERY SICK WHAT CAN I DO??

citychickengirls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
Altadena, CA USA
I found three chickens last August. two girls and one boy. Was told they were 2-3 weeks old then For the most part everything was going pretty well. Started getting eggs in Feb this year, a few here and there. Rarely got two at a time seemed like only one was laying. Sometimes a second egg with a little blood on it.This morning my one little girl was lying on the coop floor not moving. She has been quiet and sleeping a lot, very lethargic for a few days, maybe more now that I think about it, thought she and her sister were in an earlier moult, lots of feathers stopped egg production for a few weeks. 4 days ago eggs again one every day maybe every other day. Now she's barely moving. I'v e removed her from the coop in the house so I can watch her. Checked for parasites, none. Coop is cleaned weekly, put down mite and flea powder, get two clean waters daily, feed them layer crumble and alfalfa,(have horses) with a handful of sunflower seeds. Their run is 8X8 dirt floor I rake it in the morning. Checked for egg bound, didn't feel anything, her vent looks clean and normal color? Her poop looks normal. Called several vets No one is around until Monday and I fear then will be too late. Have given her crushed calcium with water for egg bound. What am I missing? Is it too late for her?

You can try putting some sugar and vitamins in her water and feeding her some active yogurt. Do you know how old she is? Could it be old age?

She's young 1 year old. I'm feeding her ground crumble mixed with a little water by syringe now. I have goat yogurt I'll mix some in with the crumble mixture now.
Had another thought that she was maybe being kept from eating and is malnourished. Is this possible?

Very possible, feel her breastbone or keel that runs right down the center of her body, at a year old you should just barely be able to feel the bone with great amounts of flesh on either side.If the keel is prominant then she is malnourished.

describe the droppings..color and consistency

check the crop for lumps or grainy feeling.

any swelling or heat in the vent/belly area?

try giving some vitamins..
Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..Enfamil brand, no iron..
3 drops a day on beak for a week, tapering off for a week.

has she been wormed?
do they free range?
how many chickens do you have other then the 3?
is it possible she has layed soft shelled eggs, or no shell eggs?

she might need some extra protein..such as cooked egg..
you might want to try and get some Avia Charge from McMurrays hatchery..

if her laying has been sporadic she could be an internal layer..
or just not getting enough nutrition..either being bullied away from feed..
or parasites, or some other malabsorption problem..

We don't have any droppings now to examine.
She definitely has heat in the belly area.
She has not been wormed.
Not free range. In a dirt floor coup with occasional outings to the yard.
Anything is possible with her egg laying. We've had lots of inconsistency and only recently confirmed that the other hen indeed is laying eggs.
The rooster is a bully and this hen is lowest in the ranking by far.

This morning she is worse. Mouth breathing. I'm torn between trying to force feed her and leaving her alone. I'll try anything as long as it's not torturing for her.

please advise!

Neither hen is meaty. We've thought how at a year old neither of these hens looks hen-like. Instead they look like some different kind of bird, but we found them all together at 2-3 weeks so we know they are all the same breed of chicken. The rooster is a very strong and healthy bird - Welsummer, we think.

I want to be really clear describing our hen this morning. She looks like she's on death's doorstep. Completely motionless except for her labored breathing through her mouth.

Should I continue feeding her and hydrating her through a syringe? I think now malnutrition could be the problem (I feel terrible for not knowing this was her state prior to this emergency) and if so, and I can nurse her through it, I will and welcome all advice.

thank you.

i'm so sorry! i don't know what to offer, but wanted to reply to bump this up on the recent posts list. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along quickly to help you.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom