help my peking duck cant walk

chelly3

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2016
Saw my duck laying front down with her legs spread out backwards.The drake duck was on her neck and I didn't catch how long she was put in this position! I put her up and she just kept falling down and she can't walk. I have put her in the pool to keep her floating up and she occasionally swims but looks like her left leg is more spread out.
If I take her out of the pool on the dirt she just trembles down. She doesn't want to eat but she is drinking water. I need help how to treat her,I don't live anywhere near a vet for ducks

Last edited:
Be careful leaving her in a pool - if she is in pain and gets exhausted, she could drown. The drake may have pushed her down and caused her leg to go out to the side, which could mean just a stretched muscle, a broken bone or pelvic fracture. No way to really know without an x-ray. Others may have better ideas. Bring her in and put her in a small, soft nest to let her relax. Will she eat hand fed treats?

Yes I fed her some grapes she's not eating much duck pellets.Should I try to let her walk to exercise her foot?? She's been like this for about 1 hour and a half.

If she seems like she WANTS to try and walk. Can you put her in a deep tub with you right there so her feet can't touch bottom so she can float and maybe she'll try to do some paddling with that foot?

My poor duck still can't walk :(
Considering a vet but I'm not sure if I have the budget for the treatments.

You're talking to the wife of a veterinarian, I'm ultra sensitive when I hear people who keep animals but who can't afford vet treatment. Most vets offer Care Credit, where you can pay smaller amounts over time. Otherwise, try to borrow the money or pay something late - these animals count on us to do what's right for them. They have no one else.

What about crating her for a few days to let her regain her strength and see if restig helps? Limiting her mobility might help? I've had a duck or two that have had leg problems and after separating them from the flock and forcing them to rest, it does wonders.

Back
Top Bottom