Help!!!!my Peking duck has broken her leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by renee3478, Mar 11, 2015.

1. renee3478

renee3478 New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    My son randy has a one year Peking female duck named chaka. We took her to the vet, and took x-rays and have confirmed she has a break on the upper leg. It happened yesterday. We were told nothing could.be done and to.put her down. My son is devastated. This is his pet duck he's raised from a duckling and also her mate kamala. Can any one give me some advice? She's eating, drinking , and still sassy as usual, but she just sits there. And help or advice would be so much appreciated as we don't want her to suffer but also want to give her a chance.we are new to this forum and will.post pics later.

2. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    She will heal and if she is acting normally will recover. I have a gimpy duck, broke her leg from the neighbors dog. Lost my entire flock, she was the lone survivor. She is still happy and healthy with new flockmates just a bit slow.

3. micaelasducks

micaelasducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    From what I have heard ducks can survive just fine with ONE leg, nevermind one good leg and one bad leg. I also say that she should be given a chance.

Could you try to splint and wrap up the duck for the time being, keep her still and warm? Perhaps put her in a dog crate with food and water and some towels inside. The less stress she has, the quicker she will heal, I'd think. I have a duck with foot issues and she tends to be picked on a bunch more by the others since she's a bit of a wobbler, but is still quite happy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I kept mine in a kennel for a while and let her swim for excercise. She was real beat up and bloody, but she is fine now! Ducks can survive terrible injuries, given the chance. She sat around a lot and still does but I plan on Keeping her happy. My duck pen is a fortress now and my german shepard guards and herds them when they roam our acre.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by