HELP! my poor little chick...

crazycluck86

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
uk
I just checked on my broody hen and her two chicks before I went to bed, and noticed the hen pecking at one of the chicks underneath her. I moved the hen and the chick was glued to the hens breast feathers by her neck with a tiny bit of poo!! I tried to hold them together and get my husband to help, but the hen was flapping hard ripping the chick free! Now the chick has a tare in her chest, its not bleeding but I can see the muscles/tissue in her neck! Will she be ok? I dont understand why the hen is allowing them to poo in her breast feathers (after checking her over there was more poo) my other broody, a brahma took her chicks out of the nest to poo! Anyway will she be ok or is there anything I can to to make her more comfortable?

Ricky Rooster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 4, 2012
Chesapeake, VA
Not the same situation, but I had an injured hen..the roo tore her up pretty bad. Kept her clean and put bacitracin ointment on her wounds. It took a while, but she eventually scabbed over and her feathers have come back in. Hope this helps.

dkelly8

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Any sort of tripple antibiotic should help. Keep her out of dust.. no hay, shaving, ect. Try newspaper or a towel. Keep her warm and comfy. As long as she isn't bleeding you just need to avoid infection.

crazycluck86

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
uk
Thank you :) shes pottering around fine, I just worry it will happen again. All the hen seems to do is literally sit on them...I thought silkies were the best broodys! I have baytril or tylan what do you think would be best?

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom