Help!!! My Pot Belly Pig is Pregnant, need advice.

farmgirl68

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
I adopted what we thought was a 4 month old female Pot Belly Pig.

Well she turned out to be pregnant, and it looks like she is gonna deliver very soon.

She is very young and small, so we are expecting 1-3 babies.

I'm trying to find out how to prepare for the litter.

What supplies do I need on hand?

Do I need a farrowing box?

Do I need to clip the baby teeth?

I have Iodine, rubber gloves, Vasaline, Polyvisor Iron and A small cutting pliers (new).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My pot belly had babies and all I did was let nature take its course I never gave any shots or clipped teeth. But if the babies can't root in the dirt they will need and iron shot.

I'm asuming she's a house pig, so you will need to give her a comfy place to farrow. A cardboard box with a blanket in it, tipped on its side works well. A bathroom or closet or another place in the house that gets very little traffic should be your location.

Iron shots are a good idea with pigs anyway. Indoor or outdoor pigs it is a good idea anyways.

It is good to dip the navels of the newborn pigs in iodine shortly after birth. This helps the cord to dry up and helps to prevent infections.

You shouldn't need to clip the cords on the newborns. Pigs are very good with that part of it.

It is always a good idea to clip the baby teeth on pigs that will live to adulthood and be kept as pets. These teeth can develope into very sharp and dangerous teeth and can cause injury. Even if you aren't bitten, accidents happen. Yes, trim the baby teeth. It will be better int he long run.

Pigs are very good mothers, so you shouldn't need to do much more than that.

i dont mean to highjack here.. but i never heard of trimming the baby teeth. i have two - 3 month old piggies and i have been bit on accident. sure does hurt. is this because they were trimmed? and is it to late to do?

Kozy Orchard Farms >>>>>

Penelope is actually an outdoor PBP.

I read several books and websites and they all suggest clipping the nursing teeth and birth. The piglets are born with razor sharp teeth and can hurt each other and mamma when nursing. From what I've heard/read, it is not painful to the babies.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

If she's an outdoor pig, then just a doghouse with some straw should do the trick. I would recomend a heatlamp if there's room. It helps a lot with the babies.

Back
Top Bottom