help my roos are no longer best buds

1Chick Magnet

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
New Hampshire
I have 2 young roos that have been raised tog and have been in quarenteen for a month. get along great. this am I put them in the outer room to my coop. the entrance has a full glass door. they have been looking at the girls all day. I let them go in tonight. they started to fight ea other. I know this is normal but how bad can it get? I put them back in the outer room and they still fought. ea one drew blood. I turned out lights and did not leave till they were quiet. I do not want anybody to be badly hurt. Should I put them back in quarenteen in garage in am till I figure out what to do? the coop will be further divided this weekend. I planned on giving them a room till I seperated to breed. will they continue to fight just because they can see girls?

You only have enough hens for one roo . (The common ratio is one roo to 10 to 20 hens!!!) So, YES, your roos will continue to fight each other until one becomes the Alpha Roo.

they'll figure out who's bigger if their away from the hens,, but if they go in with your hens, then 1 may kill the other, and your hens will take a beating, get bald backs, and could also get hurt.. if you had 15 or 20 hens, then they could go in together, they would still fight a little so 1 can be alpha,, but thats usually as far as it goes,,,, their only bleeding because of scratched combs and waddles? thats common and no worries,,, if its cuts to the skin, bites, or deep gouges,, then they will need to be split forever.

Quote:
I seperated them for the day. put them tog in the garage in the dark to keep ea other warm tonight. all is quiet now. cuts to combs and waddles. I had on gloves so I seperated them quickly before too much damage. I will be making breeding pens so they will live next to ea other. will that work? these are silkies. do they fight as much as other breeds? when I got them they were penned with other silkies. more males than females. the dad was the alpha. these were 2 of the 4 from the younger generation. I think there was only 2 or 3 girls.

living next to each other will work,, you may have to put something from the ground up to about 2 foot,, so they cant see each other,, but you may not have too,, i have to between 5 or 6 of my roo's,, but dont have to on the others. i have a big leghorn alpha roo that runs my big yard,, he "brings up" many many roo's,, there is almost never any kind of bickering a bit,, until,, 1 is moved out of the big yard,, then all of a sudden, the 1 moved thinks he's MUCH bigger,, lol
wink.png

this morning my boys went at it again. I have decided to seperate them for good. I found one standing on the neck of the other. the other was curled in a fetal ball and barely moving. no blood at all. I brought the loser in the house. he could barely stand or breathe and kept his head on the floor. he threw up a white milky substance. within a half hour he was better. I just do not want anything to happen to either one of them. that was too close for me!

they'll puke up that yucky stuff when they get in a big scuffle,, sometimes just trying to catch them can cause it,,, kinda like when the kids play to hard after eating
roll.png

ya it sounds like they cant work it out,, separating sounds like the best that can be done with them.

Back
Top Bottom