Help my rooster has swelling next to his vent "butt" left side and hasn't been able to stand on stretch his leg out

Mrs JMC

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2023
My 4yr old rooster has been unable to stand on left leg, I thought it was a broken bone but it's been 3 weeks, today I examined him and noticed an infection of lice around his vent and noticed redness and swelling or maybe it's his back is pooped out , I'm not sure if it's his tail. I don't know about chicken anatomy but it's between tail and left side of vent.

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_132700486_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240131_132700486_HDR.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 60
I'm not sure if it's his tail. I don't know about chicken anatomy but it's between tail and left side of vent.
Hard to tell where that's located.

Can you take more photos showing where it's located and of the rooster?

What do you feed including treats?

Again, hard to see in the photo - is there scabbing/a wound?

If he's got lice, then you'll want to treat those. Permethrin poultry dust and spray can be found at TSC. I'd use the dust to treat all the birds and the spray to treat housing. Remember roosting bars and nesting boxes too. Repeat treatment of birds and housing in 5-7 day intervals. Dust can be placed in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to dust the bird, working the dust through the feathers all the way to the skin.

My 4yr old rooster has been unable to stand on left leg, I thought it was a broken bone but it's been 3 weeks, today I examined him and noticed an infection of lice around his vent and noticed redness and swelling or maybe it's his back is pooped out , I'm not sure if it's his tail. I don't know about chicken anatomy but it's between tail and left side of vent.
Thank you so much for replying, I will take more pictures of the area and buy the treatment. At the moment I'm feeding the flock cracked corn and when I get treats I get meal worms.

Thank you so much for replying, I will take more pictures of the area and buy the treatment. At the moment I'm feeding the flock cracked corn and when I get treats I get meal worms.
Do you only feed cracked corn? Do they free range?

Even with free ranging, it's a good idea to provide a nutritionally balanced poultry feed like an all flock feed or layer feed for your birds.

Hard to tell where that's located.

Can you take more photos showing where it's located and of the rooster?

What do you feed including treats?

Again, hard to see in the photo - is there scabbing/a wound?

If he's got lice, then you'll want to treat those. Permethrin poultry dust and spray can be found at TSC. I'd use the dust to treat all the birds and the spray to treat housing. Remember roosting bars and nesting boxes too. Repeat treatment of birds and housing in 5-7 day intervals. Dust can be placed in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to dust the bird, working the dust through the feathers all the way to the skin.

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_083938395.jpg
    IMG_20240201_083938395.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240201_084050222.jpg
    IMG_20240201_084050222.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240201_084038622.jpg
    IMG_20240201_084038622.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240201_083621697.jpg
    IMG_20240201_083621697.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240201_083938395.jpg
    IMG_20240201_083938395.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 12
As I was trying to take the pictures a few tiny white bugs were crawling on my teal hoodie, Are those Fleas or mites?

Do you only feed cracked corn? Do they free range?

Even with free ranging, it's a good idea to provide a nutritionally balanced poultry feed like an all flock feed or layer feed for your birds.
Free range and I also sometimes feed them leftovers like chicken, veggies and rice. I make sure I don't feed them anything that they're not allowed. I'm going to make the flock scrambled eggs as treat right now

If you can see his comb looks like frostbite, it snowed a few weeks ago and that's when he started having problems

That may be a feather cyst, but hard to tell.
Is his vent clean?

If he's got frostbite on his comb, it looks minor. Sort of looks like he may have dirt on it. Either way, if he does have Frostbite, leave the comb alone, don't handle it or rub ointments/oils on it which can make it worse. It will heal on its own.

Back
Top Bottom