Help my rooster has swelling next to his vent "butt" left side and hasn't been able to stand on stretch his leg out

That may be a feather cyst, but hard to tell.
Is his vent clean?

If he's got frostbite on his comb, it looks minor. Sort of looks like he may have dirt on it. Either way, if he does have Frostbite, leave the comb alone, don't handle it or rub ointments/oils on it which can make it worse. It will heal on its own.
How can I treat feather cyst? He will not stand on left leg and keeps it up, He's in pain so I've been crushing ibuprofen for swelling and pain. I don't know if I should put him down or wait another week to see if he gets better. I went to TSC and got vitamins and electrolytes with with lactobacillus the Permethrin and they had it also in a powder.

How can I treat feather cyst? He will not stand on left leg and keeps it up, He's in pain so I've been crushing ibuprofen for swelling and pain. I don't know if I should put him down or wait another week to see if he gets better. I went to TSC and got vitamins and electrolytes with with lactobacillus the Permethrin and they had it also in a powder.
No his vent is so crusty but he will not let me get near it, he kicks with right leg but his Left leg doesn't move at all

Do you only feed cracked corn? Do they free range?

Even with free ranging, it's a good idea to provide a nutritionally balanced poultry feed like an all flock feed or layer feed for your bird

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_083938395.jpg
    IMG_20240201_083938395.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 3
Picture is of tail and left side of vent

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_083628447.jpg
    IMG_20240201_083628447.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 3
No his vent is so crusty but he will not let me get near it, he kicks with right leg but his Left leg doesn't move at all
Is he pooping at all?

The vent being crusty, he may be constipated or clogged up. It's hard to know what's going on with him.

If he's suffering and in pain, then quality of life needs to be considered.

I'd try giving him a soaking in a warm epsom salts bath if he's not lethargic. See if you can soak some of the crusty material off the vent, then apply ointment or an oil like coconut or mineral oil to the vent.
With him not being able to move his leg at all, then he may be in a state of decline that he can't recover from.

Is he pooping at all?

The vent being crusty, he may be constipated or clogged up. It's hard to know what's going on with him.

If he's suffering and in pain, then quality of life needs to be considered.

I'd try giving him a soaking in a warm epsom salts bath if he's not lethargic. See if you can soak some of the crusty material off the vent, then apply ointment or an oil like coconut or mineral oil to the vent.
With him not being able to move his leg at all, then he may be in a state of decline that he can't recover from.
I started giving him antibiotics 2 days ago, today I took him out of isolation. He hopped on his good leg and charged to fight with one of the other roosters. So I will continue giving him the vitamins and electrolytes with antibiotics. Today I was able to clean out the 3 coops and spray the barn . And yes he's able to poop, I treated all 8 of hens and roosters this morning. I checked them for mites and Nothing crawled on my sweater Yay , THANK YOU FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM.

Back
Top Bottom