HELP my Roosters comb changing color

Esther135

Hatching
Jun 28, 2020
My roosters beloved rooster. His comb is turning this dark color. I had roosters before with large combs. Their combs turned dark in cold weather.

My rooster was a rescue. I had him 7 years now and this never happend to him before. It doesn't look healthy. Should I be concerned about this?

Attachments

Esther135

Hatching
Jun 28, 2020
Thanks for advice. He is eating and drinking but lately he has been sitting on the ground a lot as well.
Not sure if that is something I should be concerned about but I guess that is due to his big size and age. He is a big muscular guy.

Wyorp Rock

Blessed
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thanks for advice. He is eating and drinking but lately he has been sitting on the ground a lot as well.
Not sure if that is something I should be concerned about but I guess that is due to his big size and age. He is a big muscular guy.
Birds can feel bad during molt, but it would be worth checking him over for lice/mites, getting a good look at his poop, check out his legs/feet for bumblefoot or raised scales and making sure his crop is emptying overnight.
Poultry Vitamins added to the water wouldn't hurt and giving him a bit of extra protein too.

Careful handling him during molt since it can be painful for them.

Top Bottom