Help, My ruby is sick

I called the company who makes it and of course they are closed til Mon. So thought I would try calling my local feed store. They didn't have the answer either but referred me to a women who is an animal care vet with chicken knowledge. I called and had to leave a msg. Hopefully I'll hear from her if I can add it to the antibiotic water. My son who is a machinist figured out the amt I would need for qt. size waterer. I did check her droppings (normal) this morning and saw no worms. She still has a gurgle but I kind of expected that since she has only been on meds for 24hrs. She did gobble down her warm oatmeal this morning so that's a good sign. My backporch has lots of windows so gets pretty cold so I added a heat lamp to help her stay warm. I can't bring her into the house. I have 4 dogs and they have had no contact with my chickens and I don't want to even take a chance. Especially with my American Bull. He's the iffie one. Once agian I thank you for all of your help getting me through this. I will keep you posted if you'd like. Sending you great big
hugs.gif
from a newbie for your help and support

Great she is eating and you are keeping her warm and safe.
It definitely seems respiratory and will likely take a few days to see any improvement. Your doing good, as long as you stick with it she should be fine. You caught it before any more serious symptoms have shown themselves so you should be in good shape for recovery.
Let me know how she's doing and what the vet says about the vitamins!
smile.png

Vet never called but I did find out that I can use both together so I added to her water. I think she is starting to feel better, she keeps knocking her feeder over and scattering it so she can scratch in it. She also enjoyed some scrambled egg. Yea I think I was able to catch it in time. I try to spend as much time as possible so seem to know their habits. I will definately let you know. Thanks Patti

May I ask how old she is? Have you checked her to see if she could be eggbound? Is she a relatively new layer?

Also, how old are all your flock and... whether you see worms or not, they could have worms... I never saw them until the chickens were sick. And, I did look at ( but not disect -(sp?) ) the poop pretty much daily. Chickens that have worms are often misdiagnosed with repiratory infections. Some limp, get weak, sneeze, all kinds of symptoms can be caused by worms, internal parasites.

Have you checked for mites as well? If you already mentioned these things, I apologize, I did not catch it. (Do you dust with Sevin Dust now and then?)

If she has worms, and is sick from having worms, antibiotics will help her to feel better, but she will get sick again after the antibiotics are stopped, are out of her system.

I am glad she is eating, drinking and feeling a bit better. I hope she continues to improve.

Use the Search here on BYC and read up on any symptoms or suspected problems like "Eggbound", or "Worming".... "Worming with Valbazen", "how to give oral medications", "Sevin Dust for mites", "test for gapeworm", etc. Also... I found this helpful: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Good luck.... sounds good so far. Take care.

Quote:
She is 15mo. Thought I put age in but went back and didn't. I have checked for all you mentioned and no worms, mites etc. I add DE to their food and coop. Not sure if that does any good but have had not problems. I am always checking them and have never seen any mites. I have Sevin on hand in case but haven't had to use it. I know she isnt egg bound, after I posted yesterday she layed an egg. I have 3 others that are the same age and 6 that are 5-6mos. I too have read that a lot of times it is misdiagnosed. Her poop is normal and I have checked all the others. I've been reading a book called The Chicken Health book that has a wealth of info so much my brain feels numb but will keep reading. Thanks for your help. Any and all is greatly appreciated. This has been a learning experience.

I had a roo and hen catch pneumonia last year from getting really wet and then cold. I took them to the vet and they were put on Tylan both were large fowl (Orpingtons) 1/2 cc orally for 5 days. They both had a gurgling sound when they breathed whether open mouthed or closed.

I also know someone who had a couple catch a fungal infection from the cold wet, she treated with Tylan as well also she misted them with Oxine in a vaporizer. The treatment worked great and caught both bacterial infection and fungal infection.

Tylan 50 is only for respiratory ailments and is specifically designed for them. It can be injected or given orally. Comes in a liquid and also a water soluble powder. It is usually found in the equine section of places like Tractor Supply. Easy to give to them with a needleless synringe although you must draw it out with a needle. Can put it on a piece of egg or squeeze into the side of the beak for them to swallow.

Good luck with your girl. Duramycin is mild in comparison and the Tylan will not harm the kidneys.

If anyone is interested (Update). Ruby seems to be doing real well. Her gurgle is almost gone. I started to clean out her crate when she tried to make a break for it. Luckily the kitchen door and the back door were both closed. I was able to catch her. She is the most unfriendly chicken I have. She is eating well, getting spoiled, oatmeal and yogurt in the morning and scrambled egg in the afternoon. She is still laying eggs. Bless her.

I do have a question.I know we can't eat them while she is on antibiotics but can I feed them to her? I would think I could but want to make sure. Thanks Patti

Quote:
Hmmm. I like the natural idea as I hate to really give them anything unless neccesary. How do you give it to her? Chopped, crushed etc?

Yay! glad to hear she is feeling better.
I would finish out the duramycin for the 5 days since you already started her on it. It will stay in her system for up to 3 days once you stop, small doses for shorter periods help them to build immunity much easier IMO
As far as i know it's fine to feed her back her eggs - alot of people do that.

I do give mine minced garlic in their food every so often. I wouldn't while I am medicating though, it is acidic and may decrease the effectiveness of antibiotic.
idunno.gif

Oh... and it can also make eggs taste funny if you use it too often.

"In theory.. garlic is great for prevention of worms and parasites raising the ph to an acidic level not suitable for worms in the gut and making blood too acidic for mites/lice, it also increases blood flow by thinning therefore giving a boost to the immune system function of white blood cells, it does not technically attack infection though and is not the same as an antibiotic."

Back
Top Bottom