Help - My sebright egg got crushed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by puffmuff, Sep 23, 2011.

1. puffmuff

puffmuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    New York State
    What do I do?
    This morning I went to let the chickens and guineas out. Next thing I know there are chickens going one way and a guinea going right into the sebrights box. All hell broke loss and the sebright is screaming bloody murder. By the time I get to opening the nest box - everyone is gone. The orp egg seemed fine but the sebright egg was crushed. [​IMG] The whole top area seemed completly caved in and there are some cracks down the sides. I am heartbroken because it is the only one and I want her to be a successful broody.

This is what I did. I candled the egg and discovered that there was some air space around the edges, there was still veining that looks good, no blood, and the chick moved! I ran around the house trying to get the stuff for my incubator - got that up to temp and put the egg in there while I try to figure out what to do next.

Forgot - this egg is due to hatch in 3 days. [​IMG] I did candle about an hour ago and it seemed in good shape considering. Am I missing something? Thanks

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I'll say a prayer that this little chick makes it through. You are wonderful to try to save it.
    I have heard that broody's need a special safe area as they are vulnerable.

3. puffmuff

Apr 17, 2011
    New York State
    Thank you. This little egg needs a payer.

4. puffmuff

Apr 17, 2011
    New York State
    Update - 24 sept
    The little egg is still looking good. I posted some photos to show the extent of damage.
    Is there anything more I can do? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chicken grandma

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    hopefully the membrane inside is intact! I wonder if anyone else has faced this? Two more days? Still praying!

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u can try putting candle wax on the cracks and c if that helps at all

7. chicken grandma

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I think as long as the membrane inside is intact the little chick will not lose the fluid that he/she needs.
    I would try to keep things as normal as possible for 48 more hours! Then hope it hatches on time!

8. chooksandeggs-Aus

chooksandeggs-Aus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Do you have the egg in an incubator now?
    The major problem is going to be a lack of humidity drying the membrane out.
    If the egg is in an environment of <>85% and around 37 degrees C it should be fine.
    I would keep the egg upright... not sure why but it seems like a good idea to keep the chicks head at the top.
    A fine spray with 38 degree C water will help keep the membrane soft.
    Best of luck from across the puddle.
    Rob.

9. puffmuff

Apr 17, 2011
    New York State
    Quote:Yes, the membrane seems in tacked. The chick is moving so I would say that is amazing. Thank you!

10. puffmuff

Apr 17, 2011
    New York State
    Quote:Thank you. That does seem like a good idea however in this case I would have to dip the entire egg in wax and do not think that would be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by