Help - My sebright egg got crushed

puffmuff

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
New York State
What do I do?
This morning I went to let the chickens and guineas out. Next thing I know there are chickens going one way and a guinea going right into the sebrights box. All hell broke loss and the sebright is screaming bloody murder. By the time I get to opening the nest box - everyone is gone. The orp egg seemed fine but the sebright egg was crushed.
he.gif
The whole top area seemed completly caved in and there are some cracks down the sides. I am heartbroken because it is the only one and I want her to be a successful broody.

This is what I did. I candled the egg and discovered that there was some air space around the edges, there was still veining that looks good, no blood, and the chick moved! I ran around the house trying to get the stuff for my incubator - got that up to temp and put the egg in there while I try to figure out what to do next.

Forgot - this egg is due to hatch in 3 days.
fl.gif
I did candle about an hour ago and it seemed in good shape considering. Am I missing something? Thanks

I'll say a prayer that this little chick makes it through. You are wonderful to try to save it.
I have heard that broody's need a special safe area as they are vulnerable.

Update - 24 sept
The little egg is still looking good. I posted some photos to show the extent of damage.
Is there anything more I can do? Thanks.

87161_egg4.jpg

87161_egg3.jpg

87161_egg2.jpg

87161_egg1.jpg

I think as long as the membrane inside is intact the little chick will not lose the fluid that he/she needs.
I would try to keep things as normal as possible for 48 more hours! Then hope it hatches on time!

Do you have the egg in an incubator now?
The major problem is going to be a lack of humidity drying the membrane out.
If the egg is in an environment of <>85% and around 37 degrees C it should be fine.
I would keep the egg upright... not sure why but it seems like a good idea to keep the chicks head at the top.
A fine spray with 38 degree C water will help keep the membrane soft.
Best of luck from across the puddle.
Rob.

Quote:
Thank you. That does seem like a good idea however in this case I would have to dip the entire egg in wax and do not think that would be good.

Back
Top Bottom