Help! My Silkie Rooster is attacking me!

yellowflower

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Bradford NH
I have 4 roos and 7 hens together. 3 are younger and not laying yet. The hens started laying first of feb and everything was okay but recently one of the roos attacks me. Is he just protecting the hens? What can I do to stop this? It only happens once in a while but I'm always on the alert now. I don't want him to think this is okay.

One of the meanest roosters I ever owned was a Buff Silkie roo. He was terrible! He would flirt with you one minute and be attacking you the next. I stopped his behavior by giving him away!

4 words...

get used to it.
lau.gif

Silkies are the one breed that I've found that the roosters are ALL evil. No matter what you do to them, they'll keep coming back at ya.
rant.gif

I had a little bit of a problem with our splash silkie cock but the last time he "flogged" (as much as a silkie can flog
lol.png
) my ankle, I reached down and held him down for about a minute. I wouldn't let him up and finally when he quit struggling, I held him down another 10 seconds or so and then let him up. He doesn't bother me at all anymore. I just speak to all of them when I come in the pen and he gives me the stink eye but doesn't come near me. I can still pick him up and pet him and talk to him...he just doesn't come at me anymore.

A friend said one of her husbands roosters will target her when she walks out the back door and come running to attack no matter where he was at. She takes a broom with her to sweep him away. She hates that poor rooster!

Our NewHampshire roo will attack both my husband and son, but never gives me a second look. I think it is a "guy thing" protecting his"ladies". How he knows male from female people is unknown to me!
idunno.gif

Mean Silkie Roosters?????? I'm shocked. Every Silkie rooster I've had has never attacked me, always been a loving pet. They might fight a bit with other roosters and won't leave the hens alone, but they have never attacked a human.

My silkie rooster has attacked my fiancé twice now. Of course he was taken by surprise and backed away. The second time he backed him off with a shovel. The rooster was jumping high as his chest at him and he is 6ft. You can't catch him or hold him and we are now not sure what to do. Any good advice would be appreciated. He is separated from the flock for only one day so far. Because we don't want him out in the yard. He is upset so I don't want to keep alone. Help!!

Mean Silkie Roosters?????? I'm shocked. Every Silkie rooster I've had has never attacked me, always been a loving pet. They might fight a bit with other roosters and won't leave the hens alone, but they have never attacked a human.
x2!! ALL my silkie roos have sweet and loving. Even to other silkie roosters. They seem to work as a team to protect their hens.

I have heard that some silkie roosters can get aggressive. He does take care if his hens. Also chases the other roosters but only if they go after a hen and it can be any hen not just the ones he stays with. Not sure if this will stop but am afrAid now that he might hurt somebody. Could this be an isolated incident or will he keep attacking?

Back
Top Bottom