HELP! My Tom attacked my son

jessicalynnw123

Chirping
Jul 28, 2022
Recently my Tom has been thumping at us and getting mean towards my family and I’m not sure why!! I want to break him of this habit and make him nice again how do I do this? I don’t. Wan to give him away.

Attachments

• E1E0B322-7D70-4B80-B6D9-2E013EFCF5AB.jpeg
    E1E0B322-7D70-4B80-B6D9-2E013EFCF5AB.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 19
Recently my Tom has been thumping at us and getting mean towards my family and I’m not sure why!! I want to break him of this habit and make him nice again how do I do this? I don’t. Wan to give him away.
It's breeding season. It sounds like your tom has been imprinted and views your family as competition.

We have just 1 female so is that why?
Sounds like he imprinted on humans as a poult how old was he when you got him? Imprinted is when as a very young poult you handled and spent a lot of time with him, and he doesn't know the difference between a turkey and humans. So as @R2elk stated you are just another turkey invading his territory and he is defending it and his hen. If that's the case, he will probable always try to attack/take advantage.

Sounds like he imprinted on humans as a poult how old was he when you got him? Imprinted is when as a very young poult you handled and spent a lot of time with him, and he doesn't know the difference between a turkey and humans. So as @R2elk stated you are just another turkey invading his territory and he is defending it and his hen. If that's the case, he will probable always try to attack/take advantage.
He was about a week old when I got him and the hen got them both together

That doesn't help. If your tom is human aggressive adding more hens might help but probably won't matter. If you can find a tom that has not been human imprinted to replace him with would be the best.
He hasn’t tried to attack me yet, but you think that that’s a possibility?

He may view you as dominant or as a hen and has not attempted to move up the pecking order, but he very well could attack or just always try to woo you as a hen. Once imprinted there is usually not much you can do.
Ugh!!!! So I should find him a new home

Back
Top Bottom