HELP! My Tom attacked my son

There is a way to tamp aggression down. I keep an aluminum handle, nylon mesh fish net handy, the handle is about 3 feet long and the net is a bit over 2 feet across. When my tom starts acting in any way aggressive, I grab the fish net and attempt to net him. After doing that daily for about 2 weeks, he will keep a wide distance away from you.

If you are willing to give it a try, have your 8 year old use a fish net and try to catch the tom. He will have to do it daily for a couple of weeks to change the tom's mind. Literally, he should run out the door with fish net in hand and straight at the tom like he's gone berserk, screaming is optional. If he manages to net the tom, keep him netted for at least a couple of minutes and chase him away when he is released. This invokes a turkey's primitive brain to "escape the predator". His instinctive response is to run. The lesson has to be repeated periodically. I chased my tom yesterday and today he won't get within 20 feet of me. Just be careful not to hit his neck hard because it can kill him. I swing at his tail feathers instead. I netted him a couple of times last year until he got the idea. He was NOT Happy, more like Grumpy! :)
So the tom may learn to avoid the 8-year old. What happens when the kid brings friends home from school and the bird attacks them?

I don't have turkeys, but lots of chicken experience. An attack rooster can be convinced that an individual human is off limits (sometimes!) but this does not translate into 'all humans are off limits'!!! He will go after every other human anyway. Are tom turkeys different that way? I doubt it!
Mary

Well he side jumped my 8 year old and scratched his back
I would get rid of the turkey. Either that or keep him penned up permanently where he can’t get to anyone. Not worth the risk to your child.

I have had imprinted turkeys in the past that strutted for me constantly (since they thought I was their hen). But they didn’t attack anyone. If they had, they would have been gone.

A broom can be helpful when trying to keep an aggressive turkey away from you.
Yeah, so does a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.
GrippingIllustriousAsianporcupine-max-1mb.gif

In all seriousness, I'd get rid of him. I had a Blue Slate tom that went after me for well over a year. He never learned and he never stopped.

I do not recommend kicking any animals. The broom is not for hitting, just used to keep the turkey at a distance. Kicking an aggressive turkey will only make it madder and even more likely to attack you from behind.
Very true. I also do not recommend kicking them. I will say I've done it when I turned in the barn and he was already level with my chest in the air coming towards my face.

Edited to add: The original comment about the kick was mostly in jest. A pole would not have stopped my tom.

Very true. I also do not recommend kicking them. I will say I've done it when I turned in the barn and he was already level with my chest in the air coming towards my face.

Edited to add: The original comment about the kick was mostly in jest. A pole would not have stopped my tom.
Not a pole, a broom. You would be surprised at it's effectiveness.

If I had a human aggressive tom, it would not survive to get to the point your tom got to.

Back
Top Bottom