Help- My Welsummer Hen has a Very Bad, Upper Beak Break, Very High up. What should I do?

Hen_of_the_Woods

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
My Welsummer Hen, Summer, has broken her upper beak, very high up. I think this must have occurred last night as it is not bleeding. (I suspect she got it caught up in hardware cloth). I washed the wound with soap and water, q-tipped on some Vetericyn wound spray, and dabbed on Neosporin. I also gave her some chicken Meloxicam. My questions are: what else should I do? Do I try the teabag glue patch? Will it grow back? I just put a chicken down 2 days ago at the vets, and really don't have the funds to go back, and it takes many days to get an appointment at that clinic. Any help is very appreciated. She is an otherwise healthy hen. 

Attachments

• 20230208_120812.jpg
    20230208_120812.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 40
Thank you. We do have mushy food for her, but I was afraid her beak would come off while eating. My daughter is monitoring her now as she eats.
From what I've read, their beaks are like our finger nails, there's a quick, which you can see in the picture. Watch for infection, I always take a good deep sniff of my girls wounds to make sure they're not getting infected. Do you have fish mox?

From what I've read, their beaks are like our finger nails, there's a quick, which you can see in the picture. Watch for infection, I always take a good deep sniff of my girls wounds to make sure they're not getting infected. Do you have fish mox?

Thank you your reply. I don't have fish mox, but I do have chicken sulfa, and may have some other antibiotics leftover. So, you suggest I giver her some as a preemptive measure, or wait to see if she needs them.

Back
Top Bottom