Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.9%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.6%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 32 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics
When we roast a bird and have eaten all we can off the bones, i throw the carcass out for the chickens to get any remaining tidbits that their brother or sister may left on it. If an outsider happened by, I d love to see their reaction to all the bones laying in the run.
My brain misfired for a second and at first read that as “I throw the carcass out for the chickens to get any remaining tidbits off their brother or sister” and thought ‘well that’s certainly an honest answer.’

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
I have 4 chickens and 3 ducks and they each as a group get 1/2 chopped iceberg lettuce one chopped cucumber, 3 chopped roma tomatoes, celery chopped if I have it and a can of corn or green beans each morning. I get from my girls 4 chic eggs and 2 big duck eggs each day, without fail. Really spoiled group

Thinking about it, I can't see anything in pizza ingredients that individually, a chicken shouldn't eat, and it only has a lot of salt if the meat on it is heavily salty like pepperoni, but I'm also not sure if cheese is ok, I'd have to consult the oracle of google on that, (no, I've never fed my chickens leftover pizza...( Leftover pizza? Is there such a thing?))
But I'm not sure you should do that on any regular basis, being that we are what our food eats...

Anyway, guys, don't be too hard on him, we all make mistakes, his tiny veloseraptors might get a tummy ache, but they won't die or anything, and we live and learn.

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
Hello. I am in strong agreement with your wife. Pizza is high in sodium and even sugars. A high quality layer feed is all they need.

We HAD a garden when we first got chickens. We thought they would eat the bugs. And they DID! Then they ate the vegetables. Then they ate the leaves. Then the stems---
After they pulled out the roots and ate them, they began digging up the ground for more bugs!:eek:

Yeah, haha! Between the squirrels and crows, I have to wrap individual tomatoes and whatnot in mesh bags once they set fruit. The chickens are supervised and free range in a different area, where the butterfly gardens are, and the only greens I grow near the chicken area are in vertical planters 5 feet tall.

I grow their chicken garden in grow bags and have worked for months to train them to peck away at the herbs and greens in those.

Their favorite area is where I raked up a bunch of leaves around my native butterfly plants. The leaf mold holds many yummy bugs 🐛

Edit: here's yet another chicken video to illustrate

I dont think it's a big deal at all...biggest concern would be them choking. I either break it into smaller pieces or soak in water to soften crust. Nothing bad will happen if they eat scraps. Chicken feed has only been around for so long. Prior to that, it was table scraps and free range for centuries and they never went extinct. But as far as convincing your wife???? Just accept that you lost this fight. Never mess with a woman's chickens.😄

Back
Top Bottom