1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My Wyandottes have stopped laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssteiner, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    I have four chickens, all about 9-10 months old. One Partridge Rock and three Wyandottes. About 2+ weeks ago, we here in Southern California were hit with a brutal heat wave. Day after day of temps between 95-105 degrees. This lasted for about 10 days and then broke and gave us 2 or 3 days of more moderate temperatures, mid-80's or so.

Anyway, in the week or two before this heat wave began, all three Wyandottes went through a period of broodiness, during which time, no eggs. Then, as this heat wave began, I noticed my girls just stopped laying. Chalking it up to the heat wave, I decided to just keep an eye on the situation. Well, now only the Partridge Rock is laying. All three Wyandottes have stopped. One of the Wyandottes appears to be molting, with feathers everywhere, everyday.

What's going on?

Thanks.

Scott

2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Welcome to BYC and to all my neighbors LoL
    left there 8 yrs ago.
    if your birds are in molt they wont lay,
    But I have a misting system 25ft. along one side of their run for a cooling down .I also use a little hot pepper flakes in a feed cup free choice. It helps them to lay. Got that info from a chix farmer.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This is the time of year with shortning daylight hours that a lot of hens slow down in their laying and/or start to molt. It's a natural thing for them to go thru.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by