Help!! Nasty pictures

redhen10

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
I have had to cull 4 hens! This hen started with the same vent problem today and I know it will just get worse despite my efforts. I am kind of new to this. I inherited these chickens and not really good about identifying breeds( so if you can tell me breed too would be great). From my research I think it starts with vent gleet then turns into a prolapse? I try everything...apple cider vinegar in water, yogurt, pro biotics, cleaning them up with Epsom salt baths then treating with neosporin and hemorrhoid cream. I even have done the blue coat. It just gets worse, they quit laying and I feel like they are suffering and it's over. So today I am fed up and SAD!! I took I hope good pictures so any input would be helpful. Just some other random info I feel like I keep coop clean, pellet diet and scratch in evening and table scraps as well as what I mentioned, We do have two male ducks that I feel like in the last 6 months have gotten aggressive with the hens for whatever reason and try to mate with them. I am wondering if this could be the problem? I just separated ducks today. No other chickens or rooster picking on her. Currently this hen is in a box in the barn hoping she will rest and not lay. I hope I have caught it soon enough and she gets better.

This is what she looks like

This is looking at top of her back feathers. When the vent stuff starts happening with my hens it seems their feather in back start looking "fuzzy"

Here is the vent. Notice some of discharge. This is right after she laid a nice normal size brown egg...with blood all over shell.

Thanks for any input!!

I'm afraid that you have a feather picker who is cannibalizing your hens. She has blood around the vent from picking. Severe picking will result in the insides being pulled out which may have started with a prolapse or just with feather picking. This can turn into a bad habit. You may need to spend some time watching for it, and get rid of the picker(s.). Make sure they are getting a good layer feed or flock raiser with at least 16-20% protein, they have plenty of room, and some things to explore or peck at like a hanging cabbage.

So do you think it could be the ducks? I have been observing and I am out there a few times a day and that is what I have been noticing is the ducks trying to get on my hens. I seperated them today. The layer pellets are 18%.

I thought ducks have a penis, so if they are trying to mate a hen the could damage her vent badly enough to cause problems. If others saw the blood they would peck her vent to shreds too.

I did a quick search and found this thread, I would keep the drakes away from your hens! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/385459/help-duck-mating-hens

A prolapse is from an egg that has forced out internal section of the vent, or from constipation. It has to be reinserted using preparation H, sugar, honey, or other methods to shrink the tissues back inside. Manually pushing in the tissue after applying the treatment. It may take several tries to get the prolapse to stay inside. Hen should be kept in dark to prevent laying, reducing feed but plenty of water. There are several posts that give excellent treatments for prolapse.

Good luck with your girls!

Last edited:
You are all awesome!!! Thank you. Any thought on her breed? Just while we are at it :) we are making a pen for ducks and a pond area. They are not going back in coop and chicken run. I really hope this is the reason and it stops! I will keep you all posted.

You are all awesome!!! Thank you. Any thought on her breed? Just while we are at it
smile.png
we are making a pen for ducks and a pond area. They are not going back in coop and chicken run. I really hope this is the reason and it stops! I will keep you all posted.

She looks like a golden sex link to me (some people call them golden comets), they are a great breed!

I hope your girl gets better!

Agreed with the golden comets or golden buffs. Same thing. They are a very nice breed, friendly, and you probably noticed great layers. Hope she gets better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom