HELP Need Advice! I NEED To Go Into Lock Down Early

Quote:
They don't come out that quick. 24 hour minimum from external pip. Realistically more like 2 days. Anywhere from 24-48 hours is normal, sometime even longer. If they are not out then then they are usually shrink wrapped, which happens when you open the lid.

Tomorrow it is time to get the brooder warmed up and ready. Have the vitamins and electrolytes on hand. Do not mix them until you are getting ready to get the babies moved to the brooder.

They are moved, and I haven't opened and will not open. I lived and learned by my mistake and carelessness with the other one. But it was doomed to fail anyway after I took it out and saw the birth defects. I was so obscessed!! LOL, I know Katharine you are saying out loud or to yourself...."YOU THINK!"
gig.gif

Now what about if these 2 do hatch, and the others still not doing much of anything, can I take the babies out quickly even if the other 3 are in lock down? How long should I give them before I intervene to see if there is any life or touch them to see if they are cool? Like I said, the one with the dent already is still I believe alive, but I'm seeing a dark spot on it, and from what one poster said those usually don't end up hatching. That is the only one so far that has any miscoloration.

Also, what should I have in the brooder, watt strength, vitamin water, food, ect? I'm going to mix up the vitamin water in a gallon today at room temp so that when they are ready to come out, I can dip their beaks into the water. That is another topic I"m going to need help on. I don't want to lose them once they go to the brooder.

Leave them in when they hatch, because only a 2 second drop in humidity can shrink wrap the other ducks. They will roll the eggs around, but at the same time their peeping encourages the others to come out.

You will see dark blotches developing. That happens when they turn in the egg and their tiny toe nails scratch the membrane. Just let nature take its place. Do not touch for temp or liveliness.

It is best not to intervene. They should hatch within 48 hours after external pip, but sometimes they need longer. I intervened with my last hatch. Two zipped and hatched fine, but the rest was not able to zip. They basically had one large hole each with their heads sticking out and were not going around in a circular motion. I've waited as long as possible, so it was the last resort. I don't like to do any of it at all. So don't you even think about it, unless you know it is necessary. Just post pictures when in question and we will advise you. Note the pipping times on a piece of paper for each egg without opening the hatcher. Doesn't have to be 100% exact. It may help down the road knowing these times.

Do not mix on the electrolytes yet. Do it when you are ready to move them to the brooder. I mix on 1/2 gallon and keep it in the fridge. I take a little bit and warm it in the microwave and mix it up with my finger in it. That way I know it is not too warm or hot. Do not store at room temperature, because that is perfect for germs to grow in it.

100 watt light bulb from 24" above should produce about 95 degrees on the brooder's floor. You have to put a thermometer in and play with it until right. Have various wattages on hand. Remember those bulbs will disappear off the market, so you should think about stocking up for future use.

katharina,

this is off topic, but when i see your name, and knowing you are german, i think "kat-a-ree-nuh"
is that correct? for some reason i must know.
lol.png

you are the calmest, most helpful, gentle and kindly poster i have ever seen on a forum.
and i have been doing this a long time.
(lets say, i remember DOS)
i appreciate your hard work here, along with alll the work you do to keep your beautiful farm.

it looks like next summer i could have a place of my own.......
with ducks, ducks, and more ducks.
chickens? yes, probably.

lol.png

Beth

Quote:
You are so nice by saying this. I must add that I'm not a professional and that I do not know everything. I'm human and therefore I can be wrong. Talking about old, I also grew up with DOS. I will be 47 tomorrow. Man that makes me old, doesn't it?
wink.png

All the a's are pronounced like the vowel in the word cut. The syllabus divisions in German are a little bit different, but not much. Kat-ha-ri-na. The h is not silent. It seems that the Hispanics in the US always get my name right. So if you had Spanish in school you probably get it right. It took my husband, from New Jersey, 2 years to get it right.
cool.png
He tried deer and honey instead. Slacking off whenever he could.
big_smile.png

I know you will love your ducks. They are work, but so sweet too. I may have hatching eggs available in spring, so if you like to incubate I gladly pass some on to you, if you cover the shipping cost. I have beautiful Saxony ducks and just love them.

I 1000x agree with you love_a_duck about Katharina, I have so appreciated her and Iamcuriositycat's help!
thumbsup.gif

Katharina~Check on the 100watt bulb, I'll wait until they are ready to leave, what if I find hatchlings tomorrow, how long can they stay in there before they need food/water? This is so nerve racking because I've heard it a few times this morning peeping, then it is quiet and I get paranoid because of what I remember last Friday. But, I have not nor will I open the hatchery. I will let be, be.

Occasionally you see a small roll, but mainly rocking. They also sleep in between and you may not see anything for hours. Newly hatched ducklings can go without food for 3 days, because they live off their yolk. That is why the hatcheries ship day olds taking advantage of this little fact. Just remember that the brooder needs time to warm up too, so do it tomorrow and let it run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom