Help Need answer soon

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BlazeTheFarmer, Dec 25, 2015.

1. BlazeTheFarmer

BlazeTheFarmer New Egg

Dec 25, 2015
    Last night our turkey was killed by a fox, and we found the dead carcass with nothing but the head missing. Is it safe to eat, it seams like such a waste with almost all the turkey still intact. Please answer soon so we can start processing.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Probably not. When you kill an animal it is important to gut it immediately. without knowing how long ago it died, it is hard to say if it is still safem

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If in doubt, don't - not really worth the hassle imo

Ct

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If at, or below, freezing during the night and you've completely checked over carcass for puncture wounds extending into thoracic/abdominal cavities?
    Probably safe to use the organ meat (heart/liver/etc.) for gravy - boiled for a bit, but that's it.

I'd stake the remains of the carcass, out back, with a plastic 6ft. garden stake - Zip tie three fishing bells to the top of stake, turn up our shed/coop baby monitors so as to hear the jingling of the bells when old "sinner" fox showed up to finish its meal. Then I'd get one of the .22's, slide open the back door, have the wife spot light the fox and then I'd "slay" it.

Sorry for your loss and apologies for working in a few Xmas references into the preceding paragraph - but that's as "cheerful" a pose as you'll find this member straying towards when addressing the issue of this particular species of poultry killing vermin (if I'd had taken the trouble to skin & cure every fox we've harvested - the wife could be wearing a stole composed of nothing but the tails with a Red fur train extending so far behind that 10 maidens would have to be tasked to manage it (factored in the labor costs attendant to employing 10 maidens before outsourcing all Fox processing to the Turkey Vultures' feeding station).

As the other members noted; only way to be sure is to use the entire carcass as bait.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by