Help need ideas for....

wowmanacat

Songster
Apr 1, 2011
Oak Grove AR
I have been losing chickens due to not having then in a secure place. We have had this place for about 5 yrs and now the coop run is falling apart. I would like to move them so that they are no longer in my husband's shop. I have an old round tube carport that I would like to use for the run but have no idea how to do a good job so that nothing gets to my hens. I plan to put hard cloth wire around the bottom 1 foot out 2 feet up with landscape brick all around the outside to keep chicks in and the rest out.

The is no roof at all this is just a frame, how would you do it.

Most predators will climb right in the "no roof" part.
Can you post a picture of the car port thing you mentioned, it might help to understand seeing what you are describing.

Chain link all around for the walls, 1/2 inch or so hardware cloth overlaying that for the bottom 2 ft and for a 2ft "apron", heavy duty black plastic mesh fencing for the roof, all held on to the metal poles with the super heavy zip ties. A brick/stone border isn't a bad idea either, just expensive if you don't have a stash of it. If you're overrun with small predators you probably want to overlay everything with the hardware cloth.

Chain link all around for the walls, 1/2 inch or so hardware cloth overlaying that for the bottom 2 ft and for a 2ft "apron", heavy duty black plastic mesh fencing for the roof, all held on to the metal poles with the super heavy zip ties. A brick/stone border isn't a bad idea either, just expensive if you don't have a stash of it. If you're overrun with small predators you probably want to overlay everything with the hardware cloth.
I have a stash of the stone, as for the roof I am thinking tin roof.

Something to think about with a solid roof: where is the concentrated rain going to go when it gets to the edge of the roof? Gutters are the "right" thing for that, but look at your layout and think about what possibilities are workable. You just don't want to end up with an eroded trench along the edge of the run.

Back
Top Bottom