Help needed ASAP with weak turkey poult

Terrapene13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Peach Bottom, PA
I went to pick up my two baby BR's today. One little guy is very spunky and alert, while the other is more sedate.
He's lying down sternal and will stand when i pick him up. He's just hardly moving around when he's left alone. Their brooder is nice and warm, about 90 in the warm end. Is there anything else i should do to help him along?

Might just be scared, tired, and adjusting to all the changes etc. Each bird has its own personality and not all are spunky and hit the ground running. Make sure it eats and drinks, and try cuddling it a bit so it bonds and develops a will to live (sounds silly but some turkeys need love and really enjoy cuddling very much as poults).

My BR laid around for the first 2 days and didn't move much either but I would gently walk over to the brooder (in my kitchen) and see her laying next to the food eating, or next to the water drinking. After a nice cuddle session ( a few beers and some byc browsing) where she slept under my shirt in my lap she seemed to come to life and was right along side with the silkie chicks she was in with. I'm no expert though. Good luck.

That's exactly what I did, but eventually I had to put the little squirt down so I could go to sleep...he cried all night to be picked up again. He did make it through and I caught a glimpse of him pecking at his food before I left for work. I also added some sugar to their water and dipped their beaks, so I'm hoping to come home to a perky little chick.

Back
Top Bottom