Help Needed ASAP

keechoo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
We are having a cat problem with our chickens. I caught a black cat in the fox trap last week and after a day I let him go. He was pretty aggressive. This Saturday he got into the coop during the day and scared our two peacocks off and escaped from my husband. Today, he is back in the fox trap. I thought he would have learned his lesson first time around but apparently not. Question is, what do I do with him? He is a young cat. I love cats but mine never bothered anything but wild mice. I also love my chickens. Some like to be coddled and others like to spend a few hours in the house with us.

So, I need humane ideas. We wouldn’t dare purposely hurt it. I’m not sure if he has a home but I have seen him around the yard since he was pretty much a kitten. Ideas? Please post. I’m going to some other sites hoping if I get enough responses one of them will work. My husband is keeping him in the trap until we come up with something.

Thank You!

I would ask your neighbors and make sure the cat does not belong to them. If not, call your local animal control officer. I am sure they will be able to assist you.

Good Luck!

Cats will continue to return to a prey site, no matter what you do. If you do not want your birds harmed by an aggressive cat, the cat must go. My own choice would be the local animal shelter. Good luck!

You have two choices, your birds or the cat. If he has come back time after time, he is going to kill your birds. If you can't kill it, take it to the area animal control. DO NOT DO LIKE MANY WILL TELL YOU, TAKE IT A FEW MILES DOWN THE ROAD AND DROP IT OFF. All that will do is cause someone else to deal with the cat. I would love to know where some of those people live, I would drop a bear or two off at their house. Or maybe some coon, bobcat or some other nice friendly predators. The DW did have a mountian lion in her flower bed earlier today, maybe they would like one of those.

I agree. Bad things happen to pet animals that get let go down the road. Shelter or pound is the humane thing to do. Cats , I think, do better than dogs at finding a home from a shelter.

The easiest way to dispose of a cat or predator inside your live trap. Either fill a 55 gallon drum with water or in my case the pond. Just tether a rope to the trap and sink it in water. Place carcass in garbage bag and problem solved.

Quote:
WOW-um take it to the shelter.
sad.png

We have several shelters and cat rescues in our area. Turn the cat over to them, it will be "fixed" and adopted out, if possible. It has returned one too many times.

We may have to do the same. Something disturbed the Delightful Dozen tonight, we are thinking stray cat. Usually, we sit outside and admire the evening, chickens, garden and all - tonight we were inside when the DDoz started up a ruckes. Something spoked them but bad ... we think it may have been an abandoned cat in the neighborhood.

If it happens again, the live trap will be set and the humane society will be the next step.

Good luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom