Help Needed ASAP

I could not kill any live creature besides insects and bugs. My neighbor came to see her today and would be willing to take her as an indoor if we can tame her. But, I am not letting her out of the cage where she could run off only to return later on. I agree with most of you that the Humane society might be the way to go. I'm hoping she can be tamed because hse is absolutely beautiful!! I wouldn't mind her if I didn't have the chickens but she already scared off the peacocks and I would hate for something to happen to the chicks.

Please keep any and all ideas coming!

Thank you!

I have a cat who thought he wanted to get into the coop. I arranged a close encounter with my big, black cockerel. He changed his mind about chickens. They're just for watching from afar.

If your neighbor wants to tame the cat it can be done when they are young. I did it with a stray that all she did is growl,hiss and try to bite. I kept her in a large kennel with a litter box. Fed her well and talked to her all the time. I also picked her up(wearing heavy gloves that I use when I trim my roses) She tamed down enough in a few weeks that I didn't have to use gloves and she got to come out of the kennel and into the larger laundry room. We had her for years and she was the best house cat ever.It all depends on just how mean is the cat? Some you can tell are just frightened and defensive. Others hate people and would rather eat your hand for breakfast than be tamed.
This is only what has worked for me. Above all use extreme caution when dealing with cats. They can inflict very nasty wounds.( I use to work for a vet)
Good luck with the cat !

She growls and hisses. I gave her some food today which she ate. Standing 2 - 3 feet away from her and she lies there nicely but get within a foot and she tries to get out. I just talk softly and she settles down. I think she is scared and with the right person could turn into a nice housecat. She is beautiful!

She is still located where she was trapped. So, she can see the chickens but not touch them and they can care less about her now that she is locked up.

Unfortunately, my roosters are only 2 months old and not big enough to scare anyone yet.

Quote:
you wouldnt do that do a dog would you? If you would then
smack.gif
sad.png
Not only is it disgusting, but it's illegal. They are domestic animals, you can only kill an animal if it's in the act of killing live stock...if it's in a trap it's doing no such thing.
smack.gif

Quote:
you can say that agani, you should see my knee from trying to befriend a feral/slightly friendly Tom. We thought he had rabies for what he did to me...luckily he didnt (we werent able to capture him to proove,but im still alive...and didnt get sick so nope no rabies). He jumped on my knee and sunk his teeth in through my jeans, i have what looks like an expressionless face on my knee now lol like this : :| two teeth completely went in the other fang just drug down my knee

Just remember to the OP shy yet tame cats when distressed will act savage and wild...unless they are exceptionably friendly and carefree. I can almost guarrentee you my two female cats, if they had a noose around their neck, or were grabbed suddenly by a stranger, or in a trap in the middle of some place they aren't used to and are terrified they'll bite a hand, hiss, scratch and justbe plain and utterly terrrified.
If it was me if no one in the neighborhood owned it, and if it was skinny i'd put it in a carrier (carefully), feed it get it all fat, and acll around to farms see if someone wants a good mouser. Some shelters wont take in cats..even tame ones if they are full..atleast that's how our shelter is here...

Whatever you do, do NOT drown the cat. That can get you arrested for animal cruelty -- and justifiably so!

Come on into the 21st century, you guys.
roll.png

Umm..I would opt for HUMANE options to dispatch.I think drowning an animal is not one of them. My aunt used to do that with kittens and it made my stomach curdle. she could not be bothered with getting her cat fixed. She threw the offspring in the balckstone river. And yes amazondoc is correct. It is considerd abuse and It is and will get you arrested for cruelty. It is sick and one would have to be a special kind of cruel to do it... like my sicko aunt.... I feed the strays. I keep them fat and fed and not one of the 3 that I feed have ever touched my chooks. ErinM:thun

I think your on the right track with feeding the poor cat...it is no easy life for a feral cat or a pet that has been dropped "off"..which is my problem...people see a barn and figure we need a cat and let it off at my laneway...:thun..anyway if your neighbour is willing to take the cat and tame her...why don't you give it to her.

I would think having some food in her belly would lower her interest in your chickens.

We have 8 cats and they show no interest in the chickens at all other then watching them now and then.

My hens have to concerns from the cats either

good luck.

And to the person that suggested drowning her...shame on you for being so heartless.

Back
Top Bottom