Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have sewn for years...

made halloween costumes for my kids
window coverings
baby quilts
quilt for DS bed (basic squares though)I made this from left overs odds and ends so everything was already cut into manageable pieces
13904_dsc03299.jpg

I am trying to make a quilt for my bed now and I have HUGE pieces of fabric that i need to cut..

I want to do a basic step pattern i think its called...any hints or tips about handling the huge pieces of fabric?

I have scissors and a rotary cutter..which would be better to use..

Rotary cutter. Make sure you have a new blade and a good cutting board. You can fold it over and cut a few layers at a time.

ETA: I usuallay fold big pieces so that I have 4 - 6 layers of fabric and use the rotary cutter and acrylic rulers. If the pieces are really huge, I cut them down to 2 - 3 yard pieces before cutting my strips.

Last edited:
thanks...I am really nervous about mixing fabrics...everything i have done before has been pretty text book..

I have some faux suede and some iridescent so i guess we will see how it looks

I prefer 100% cotton for my quilts, but to each their own. Just make sure that whatever you use all of the fabrics have the same washing instructions. Preshrinking is helpful too.

Quote:
I love my rotary cutter and the mat but now i wish i had bought a bigger mat...

Quote:
I love my rotary cutter and the mat but now i wish i had bought a bigger mat...

I wouldn't use anything else but a rotary cutter. I do my cutting in layers. 13 fat quarters stacked and cut through all the layers. Makes the cat quilts go a lot faster. Hard on the hands and arms though. It's fast, accurate and easier than scissors. New blades are key. You can get some good deals at joann fabric. I usually wait until I can get a 50% off coupon in the mail and one in my email.

Back
Top Bottom