Help needed hen with major headache- slightly graphic pic

dragonchick

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 30, 2007
My poor Barred Rock hen has been pecked to the extent that her comb is gone. The skin is gone all the way down to the bone. She was fine this morning and now she looks like this. Shes eating and drinking fine and acts as if it doesn't really bother her, I'm the one thats spazing out. I have her in a crate in the house for the time being. For meds I have BlueKote, Terramycin soluble power, and the normal people meds for cuts and scrapes, but I don't think a band-aid is going to fix this one. I also have some Lever Bac anti bacterial hand wash. The one doing the pecking will be dumplings tomorrow morning if I can stay awake. Have an 8 hour shift to do tonight. It looks worse in person than it does in the picture but she wouldn't keep her head still. Please advise me as to what to do.
Andi

chickendamage.jpg

Last edited:
clean it out with some saline or and cover it with triple antibiotic or neosporin. Keep her seperated from the other chickens. It will take a while to heal but she should be fine. I had a chicken with a huge opening and she is now fine.
Good luck
tink

Back
Top Bottom