HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Curious if you already had a rooster that took his place or did you not have one for a while?

We were roosterless for a while. I ordered a BJG cockerel with my next batch of chicks as his replacement, which consisted of some EE pullets, BA pullets and BA cockerels. The BA cockerels went to the freezer and the BJG became the new flockmaster. He did a lovely job till the coyote got him.

We were roosterless for a while. I ordered a BJG cockerel with my next batch of chicks as his replacement, which consisted of some EE pullets, BA pullets and BA cockerels. The BA cockerels went to the freezer and the BJG became the new flockmaster. He did a lovely job till the coyote got him.
Everyone has their own way of raising chickens. Keeping an older rooster around might help keep those boys in line when they're growing up but its hard to tell. Something usually kills the good ones protecting the flock.

Mike - the roo that attacked me - had been influenced by an older rooster when he was young. That older roo was pretty hard on him, snd Mike was pretty much a loner until that older roo died (I don't remember what happened to him). Mike was a very good roo for a couple of years, up until his last couple of months. I'm not sure exactly what happened to change him. I suspect he started getting pushy with my Kid and over time my Kid got more and more scared of him and it escalated. When my BJG started to grow into a bigger bird, I told The Kid, "If George comes toward you, don't freak out. Just remember you have the food and that's what he wants. He's not coming after you, he just wants the scratch!" That gave him confidence and he never had any problems with Jersey George. But by that time I was doing virtually all the chicken chores.

Mike - the roo that attacked me - had been influenced by an older rooster when he was young. That older roo was pretty hard on him, snd Mike was pretty much a loner until that older roo died (I don't remember what happened to him). Mike was a very good roo for a couple of years, up until his last couple of months. I'm not sure exactly what happened to change him. I suspect he started getting pushy with my Kid and over time my Kid got more and more scared of him and it escalated. When my BJG started to grow into a bigger bird, I told The Kid, "If George comes toward you, don't freak out. Just remember you have the food and that's what he wants. He's not coming after you, he just wants the scratch!" That gave him confidence and he never had any problems with Jersey George. But by that time I was doing virtually all the chicken chores.
Maybe the rooster turned on you because of problems with the boy I don't know. I do know I had a problem with one I liked after I sold a flock of hens same breed as him.This guy who bought the hens wanted my rooster for nothing but I refused. So this rooster was running around the farm the next morning all his hens gone.Walked up to the kitchen door and waited on me to come out .When I walked out this rooster walked up to me like he always did so I thought he was just being friendly but he flogged me .lol I called the guy back and told him to come get this darn rooster lol

The hens can be little meanies too . Just saying. I still haven't found a rooster the same breed as my flock ( one thats not human raised )The rooster I have will keep any cockerels I want to raise in line and make them good roosters but it takes a year or two

Maybe the rooster turned on you because of problems with the boy I don't know. I do know I had a problem with one I liked after I sold a flock of hens same breed as him.This guy who bought the hens wanted my rooster for nothing but I refused. So this rooster was running around the farm the next morning all his hens gone.Walked up to the kitchen door and waited on me to come out .When I walked out this rooster walked up to me like he always did so I thought he was just being friendly but he flogged me .lol I called the guy back and told him to come get this darn rooster lol
That's one way of dealing, lol!

Last edited:
Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!
I don’t tolerate that kind of behavior from my roosters. I have a small flock of just 7 chickens, of those two are roosters. I have an older one that has become aggressive. Depending on how the young one comes up will determine who winds up in the pot. Otherwise I am looking to another friend for a new rooster.

Back
Top Bottom