Help needed picking a rooster, to cover my flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GhostRider65, Aug 4, 2011.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Ok I asked a few people about this on different threads but no one really knew what would be my best choices.
    I plan to have a genetically diversified flock, I don't want pure breeds, I do not plan to show or do anything with them except raise them for eggs and meat.
    So I ordered 5 each of these breeds,

BO
    SS
    EE
    Delawares
    WR
    WW
    SLW
    GLW
    BR
    and I picked up 3 BSL hens from TSC to replace my DOA's

I want to keep the best roosters that will give me egg layers and meat roo's/spent hens to cull for food, but I also like pretty colorful chickens.
    of the breeds that are related as in 1 hen to 4 roo's in the straight run order sisters/brothers there is only 1 BO, 1 BR hen, 1 white wyandotte hen and only 1 EE hen.
    The 3 roosters I won't keep are the White rocks they are meanies. and 1 0f my GLW is crippled since 2 weeks old being jumped on by the others, and the other GLW is a rather poor excuse of a rooster,
    I thought I would keep the 2 EE roo's but I'm not sure what kinda crosses I'll get with the other hens breeds. as far as great layers and meat? so I just can't decide what would be best.
    What roosters would you keep, I have enough hens 16, to keep 2 roo's.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I would keep one barred rock/buff orpington roo and a white wyandotte rooster. I don't think the EE's would make the best meat birds... but you never know. Good luck! Sounds like a very pretty flock.

3. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I would keep the Buff orp rooster, They are a great dual purpose bird!

4. Brown Farmer

Brown Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Sounds like you want to create a beautiful dual purpose chicken. In that case, after the initial purchase, you should not mention breed.
    Just work with the traits you observe. Set a minimum size for each gender. Cull colours you do not want. Cull broody hens - unless you have a use for them. Let weak birds die or assist death.
    Make your list of what you want and prioritize with points for each trait. Birds with highest total points survive to breed.

5. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Thanks guys
    I have been thinking about this non stop because this weekend I am butchering all these dad blasted extra roosters, I have roosters coming out of my ears, and they are driving me crazy!! unfortunately some of my roo's I want to keep because of size or meatiness, are just plain mean, my biggest roo's at 18 weeks are my White Rocks, but I call them White Devil 1 and WD 2 for a very good reason, they keep my poor girls up on the roosts all day and will not let them down to eat, they beat the crap outa all the other roosters they were raised with, and chase everyone as much as they can, though neither 1 has even tried to bite or flog me, mostly they just leave when I say get out. so that is sorta a plus. My BO's that I ordered because they are suppose to be so sweet, are either yellow legged, or meany biters, probably because they are being beaten up all day long by the WD's they were sweet as chicks and up until the last month. They also have big fat weird looking combs, I only have 1 with a nice normal looking comb white legs, and normal body proportions and he's on the small side and bites when you pick him up.
    My White Wyandotte roo has no tail? is that normal for these guys? otherwise he is easy to handle a good size huge rose comb, which is a plus with our cold winters, but so plain looking nothing spectacular as far as color. here he is with snowball his sister who he thinks is his mate.
    [​IMG]
    My Barred Rocks are very pretty and so far none are mean or naughty, confirmation wise they are good to standard and quite large next to my SS, but they are only 9 weeks old, not even I think they were hatched May23rd. I love the speckles on the speckled sussex, but they do not seem as large in body type, but they are by far the friendliest chickens of all the breeds I ordered. Sissy my hen is my baby she is the 1 surviving SS of the first batch that came screwed up. Not what I ordered that's how I ended up with the WD's, they were not NOT what I wanted, The only white birds I was suppose to have were my Delawares, and there pretty with the black feathering in the necks and tail. They are also very large and very friendly so far as well, and as far as a meat chicken I think them or the Barred Rocks seem to fit that aspect.
    All are suppose to be good layers, I didn't pick any medium layers that I know of, my BSL hen Suzi is already laying and Daphne and Bessy are very close. My initial idea of keeping the EE roo's is because of there beauty, they are both very pretty, easy to handle, a little ruff with the girls yet but I think they would be better if they were the only roos here. Gray Beard is wider and meatier than Black Beard, who is taller and leaner. but has the best color of all 43 chicks.
    here they are
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So decisions decisions, I just can't seem to picture what chicks might look like, I have been looking around here at mutt chciken threads, the EE, Wyandotte, Del, ext. threads.
    Maybe I should just pick six and do the Eeney meeney miney Moe thing LOL
    Ty again for your input. Kim

6. GhostRider65

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Bumping this up........cuz tomorrow is the day and I have still haven't figured out whcich 2 roos to keep......??????????????????// arghhhhh

7. lamoka

lamoka Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Western NY
    I have to say I hatched two differnt batches of SS this year and it amazes how freindly they are compared to the wyandottes they are super freindly and mine are getting pretty good size to them. They are also my best foragers they are great at finding there own food fre ranging. I am going to get rid of my Wyandotte Roos and keep a couple of the SS as they are by far the freindliest. I have heard they are not as good of layer as orps or rocks but with two young daughters I am looking for friendly roosters plus I love the motteled feathers. Sounds like you are going to have very interesting flock. Just my opinion but I would choose a freindly rooster and start there and then start selecting for size and looks in future generations, I have had way to many runins with nasty roosters and have no patience for them anymore. lol Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by