Help needed PLEASE!!- panting and groaning sounds laying down

flowerchick2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2018
Perth Australia
My blue minorca is panting and making funny groaning sounds in the coop laying down, is she just dehydrated or what else can i do??

Background:We are super new to chickens, got two pullets last week had them in the backyard in the tractor or 4 days whilst we finished their coop and run..
well on the second day in the coop (i locked them in for 24h) and opened the door this morning, they have been to shy to go into run and been only in coop (hot day today) although i have been trying to coax them with food etc.
I gave electrolytes with pipette into her open beak as she was panting, and misted her down with the hose..
anything else-- please help.. don't want to already loose a chicken!!!!!

My blue minorca is panting and making funny groaning sounds in the coop laying down, is she just dehydrated or what else can i do??

Background:We are super new to chickens, got two pullets last week had them in the backyard in the tractor or 4 days whilst we finished their coop and run..
well on the second day in the coop (i locked them in for 24h) and opened the door this morning, they have been to shy to go into run and been only in coop (hot day today) although i have been trying to coax them with food etc.
I gave electrolytes with pipette into her open beak as she was panting, and misted her down with the hose..
anything else-- please help.. don't want to already loose a chicken!!!!!

How hot is it?
How old are they?
Photos of the coop, run and chickens?

If you are experiencing very hot weather and they have been locked up in the coop, then she may be dehydrated. Move her to a cooler area and try to get her temperature down.
Electrolytes are fine to give, so keep trying to hydrate her slowly.

Let us know how she's doing.

Tried to upload a video but would not work.. Its been 32cshe is standing up this morning and was on perch at night but still doing funny sounds and open beak..
I took them out of coop and put in run this morning where it is shaded..put fan on and a sheet

Attachments

• WP_20180312_08_20_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180312_08_20_22_Pro.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 17
  • WP_20180313_10_41_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180313_10_41_24_Pro.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 18
  • WP_20180313_10_41_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180313_10_41_39_Pro.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 16
That's a cute coop. Love the photo of the kids and spouse - everyone looks happy:) Unfortunately some of the smaller coop do not have adequate ventilation - you may want to check out the article below.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

The photo of your pullet - it looks like she is in respiratory distress. If you have a video of her actions, that may be helpful (upload to youtube, then provide a link).

Does she have any sneezing, watery eyes or mucous coming from her nostrils?
Is her crop emptying - how does the crop feel?

Respiratory illnesses like Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, ILT and Infectious Coryza are fairly common - symptoms include sneezing, coughing, mucous, etc. Molds, dusty dry bedding and feed can also cause some distress as well.

A lot depends on where you are located - if you are in the US, you can try using Tylan50 to see if there is improvement. Other countries, you may need a script from your vet for antibiotics. Something over the counter like VetRx poultry remedy may help.

Just in case....look inside her beak for any obstruction.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated.

+1 to respiratory distress and looking into her mouth. I hope we can help you figure this out. Does she happen to have a swollen abdomen (fluffy butt) bloated with fluid? I think ascites can eventually constrict breathing, so it’s another thing to check.

thanks guys-
checked everything, no discharges, no swellings, no bloating nothing in her beak as far as i can see..
just gasping .. i did google and it looks like other videos that say suspected respitory disease.. how could she have gotten that so quickly? we only had her for 1 week .. the breeder did say she was due a worming.. so i did order that
Levamisole
and it arrived today (should i do that even if she is not healthy?))
the vetrx seems to not be readily available here in australia, online yes but with shipping i guess at least a week to arrive.. will ring some vets to see if they may have it tomorrow..

the breeder who i sent the video to suggested giving a teaspoon chopped up rhubarb leaves for a week (read online that rhubarb was poisonous to chickens though)

any home remedies that i can try?
I do squeeze some water into her beak every now and again as i don't see her drinking, but i don't watch her non stop.. how much water does a chicken need per day?

Attachments

• WP_20180313_18_14_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180313_18_14_02_Pro.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 14
I'm so sorry that she is not getting better. If you have a vet that can see her asap that is best.

Some respiratory illnesses respond to antibiotics, but it depends on which illness it is.

Since she is gasping so much, it will be hard to keep her hydrated. You may need to tube fluids into her to keep her from aspirating the liquid. If I remember correctly a bird needs a of 23 ml of fluid per pound per day. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

The weather has been cooler today and she is looking better.. a bit of standing walking around , no sounds and much less gasping only every now and again .. so I think she is getting better.. seen her eat today..did not see her drink but I hope she has.. I did give her a few pipettes if of water just in case this evening.. mouth looked much less dry then yesterday. Fingers crossed she is recovering.. will update tomorrow

yes she is much better, every day a bit less listless and she is eating drinking pooing and walking around today even her tail was up and she was foraging a bit out in the tractor.. so i think she will be fine.. i do see her gasping every now and again still.. (i have ordered vet rx online, but its not here still, will be good to have on hand)
have been trying to give herbs, garlic ACV.. did give worming powder just in case.
Overall both my pullets are sleeping a bit more then i would like but it has been hot here.. so i think its just the heat as they are much more active in the morning and evening

Back
Top Bottom