Help needed - Possible canker

Beastie

Songster
7 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Hello, I have a chicken that about 7 days ago was suddenly overly full of water/liquid in the crop when I went out to check on them in the evening. She was drooling it out, shaking her head, making a bit of a wheezing noise. It had been very hot and I'm sure that played a role but she looked bad. I gave her a bit of vetrx for the evening and decided to see how she was in the morning. Her crop emptied by morning and she was no longer having the other symptoms other than occasionally opening her mouth (not panting). She did not have any visible lesions in her mouth at the time. That evening she had the same symptoms come back. I figured it was most likely thrush/sour crop caused by heat stress and drinking out of puddles meant to cool their feet. So I started treating with monistat, once a day. She seemed like she was improving, her crop wasn't overflowing like before and she didn't have tons of liquid in her mouth at night, but then the night before last I noticed a whitish patch inside of her mouth just behind the area where her beak ends. I still figured it was thrush as I know it can cause patches too, but today when we looked at it is was more of a yellow patch, and didn't wipe off at all like thrush patches usually do. She also seems like her mouth is more irritated now, and her appetite seems to be starting to decrease slightly, and she had a bit of fluid/mucus in her mouth today as well. So far none of the other birds (that I've noticed) seem to have symptoms (though I've yet to look in everyone's mouths). They all seem to have appetites and aren't visibly acting like something is wrong. I'm not sure at this point if I should abandon the candida treatment and try treating for canker, or if it could be wet pox? If I do treat for canker should I just add to the flock drinking water? If so, what dose would I use for that of fishzole?

I'll try to give it a whiff and attempt a picture tomorrow morning. If I fishzole should I try to dose all the flock or just her?

So there is no smell that I can detect (what does it smell like?). I cleaned her up this evening after taking pictures and it looked like it MIGHT be improving. I'll see how she looks tomorrow. The attached pic is this morning before cleaning it, the brown is just dirt and debris that was sticking to it.

Attachments

• 20210624_090611.jpg
    20210624_090611.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 23
So there is no smell that I can detect (what does it smell like?). I cleaned her up this evening after taking pictures and it looked like it MIGHT be improving. I'll see how she looks tomorrow. The attached pic is this morning before cleaning it, the brown is just dirt and debris that was sticking to it.
Canker reportedly has a very bad odor.

Back
Top Bottom