Help needed - questions from a newbie.

madchickenlady

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
Bristol, UK.
Hi All,
I've been visiting your site a lot over the past few months whilst researching keeping hens.
I finally took the plunge about 17 weeks ago and bought myself 4 one week old chicks.
They've been an absolute delight, and I'm totally loving being a chicken owner.
My questions are around the genders. I have two Buff Orps and two Anconas. I'm fairly certain that one of my Orps is a roo. I was hoping the Anconas were both pullets but yesterday they started fighting. Grabbing hold of each others combs, wattles, ears, drawing blood. It was awful.
So. Does this mean I have three Roos? They are still making cheep cheep noises, although when I separated the Anconas yesterday they both started making noises similar to an egg laying noise. I'm very confused. Help please.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
They may be roosters or they may simply be establishing their pecking order. Are they the chickens in your profile pic? I had a look quick and it seems to me you have 2 Ancona roosters there, but I would suggest posting nice clear pics of each in this section, so we can have a proper look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Thanks Sumi.
I have a horrid feeling you're right as the dominant one started picking on my orp roo this morning. Here's some clearer pics of them.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, glad to have you aboard! I agree with sumi and liz9910, both cockerels.

Oh no. Thank you for your advice, although I'm heartbroken. I love them all so much. I didn't expect them to be so entertaining and affectionate. I guess I'm going to have to let the Anconas go as I haven't the room to get more hens. :(

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with the pack - two boys but they are beautiful. You could try keeping one, maybe he won't overbreed your hens. If he did maybe you could keep him in separate quarters when you don't need fertilized eggs.

Thanks Drumstick. The problem is I only have one hen now. I know I have a hen and cock Orpington. I was hoping the Anconas were both hens. They are so beautiful and so friendly but I can't keep three boys and one girl. :(

Back
Top Bottom