HELP needed quickly in case I have to help out!!!!!

Hennypen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Is this chick upside down? They normally don't hatch out this far down but the last upside down one I had hatched out the bottom and it was obvious. Help!

And this was a bad hatch only 4 out of 15 developed and only one made it to lockdown.

ff5e791e.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it's chirping like crazy. And moving. It pipped yesterday morning. This is going much slower than normal. The first real break happened early this morning.

Last edited:
It looks like it is trying to zip. If it's chirping loudly then it is probably doing Ok. The sticky at the top of the egg/incubation page talks about when to help (and most importantly how to do it safely). Most of the time it is probably not good for the chick if you help it out, but if the chirping gets to be weaker then it may be time.

Good luck.
fl.gif

That is really hard to tell if its upside down or not. I'd guess it just pipped very low.

Also my incubated eggs have all hatched very very slow, its so painful to watch. If the zipping process seems to halt, I'd check the 'when to help' sticky.

Yea.. I've had to read that before. I have helped two and saved them both. I jumped in to help one that was obviously upside down to make sure it could get air. This one obviously has air due to the big hole it has made but geesh...it's going soooooo slow. The other hatch of this breed zipped and were walking around in an hour after starting to zip. They went really fast. I'm worried about this little chick. There's more blood around the zip edges than in the past to.

I'm going to let it go as long as possible to give it as much time as possible to absorb the blood.

I don't keep them in a carton or turner after I stop turning them- it might be helpful to take it/them out of the carton once turning is no longer needed & lay the eggs on their sides. Then if a chick is backwards in the egg, it is less likely to hatch upside down and have to push it's weight off to get out & have less pooling of any liquids on it's head. This is just a thought, with no personal experience to back it up. I take them out of the turner when turning is done and haven't had anybody pip at the wrong end. Pip in the middle yes, and have some late deaths in the shell that I opened up and saw what appeared to be a chick in the wrong direction. I think many people leave eggs in cartons or a turner to hatch, and many take them out. There are probably pros and cons to each way!

Back
Top Bottom