HELP NEEDED - Staggering, dying ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ethan MI, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ethan MI

Ethan MI Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a dozen ducklings, and not all related. They are all having trouble walking. They have been growing fast and eating and drinking fine. However, I found two dead today. The next one I may take to MSU. They are on a sand floor, so I put alfalfa on top in case they are ingesting too much sand. The sand is the only thing I have done different this year. They are with a dozen chicks, and the chicks are just fine. All share a 25 square foot brooder, and have plenty of clean water and non-medicated chick starter. All are almost 2 weeks old.

Any ideas?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Are you giving them brewer's yeast? A niacin defficiency can cause their legs to be lame. I'm not sure if eating the sand would harm them, it is basically just grit.

3. Ethan MI

Dec 16, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Nope. The local feed mill makes a balanced blend that has always worked well for me. I could try adding Brewer's Yeast, however. How much?

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not sure exactly how much to use. I was told to crush a few pills and sprinkle it on top of their feed, but that was when I only had 2 ducklings? [​IMG]

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    You're not feeding them medicated chick feed, are you? You said you had them in with chicks, so that is why I ask--many people feed chicks the medicated chick feed, which is fine for chicks, but not dor ducklings or ducks--it will kill them...you probably already know this, but just wanted to make sure....good luck and sorry about your loss!!

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [email protected]@2four :

You're not feeding them medicated chick feed, are you? You said you had them in with chicks, so that is why I ask--many people feed chicks the medicated chick feed, which is fine for chicks, but not dor ducklings or ducks--it will kill them...you probably already know this, but just wanted to make sure....good luck and sorry about your loss!!

Quote:[​IMG]

7. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    How did this all turn out?

8. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    How did this all turn out?

9. Ethan MI

Dec 16, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks for asking. Most have recovered nicely. A few are still struggling. Thankfully my Sebastopol geese aren't having any problems. I wash my hands after handling the ducklings, and I don't know what diseases are shared between ducks and geese.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

For the record....Ducklings can have medicated starter as long as the only medication in it is amprolium. That's what I raise all my call ducklings on.....and have for years. Ducklings can and will get cocci and die from it just like chicks and the amprolium is a preventative against that happening.

I'm glad yours are doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by