HELP NEEDED - Staggering, dying ducklings

Ethan MI

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 16, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
I have a dozen ducklings, and not all related. They are all having trouble walking. They have been growing fast and eating and drinking fine. However, I found two dead today. The next one I may take to MSU. They are on a sand floor, so I put alfalfa on top in case they are ingesting too much sand. The sand is the only thing I have done different this year. They are with a dozen chicks, and the chicks are just fine. All share a 25 square foot brooder, and have plenty of clean water and non-medicated chick starter. All are almost 2 weeks old.

Any ideas?

Are you giving them brewer's yeast? A niacin defficiency can cause their legs to be lame. I'm not sure if eating the sand would harm them, it is basically just grit.

Nope. The local feed mill makes a balanced blend that has always worked well for me. I could try adding Brewer's Yeast, however. How much?

I'm not sure exactly how much to use. I was told to crush a few pills and sprinkle it on top of their feed, but that was when I only had 2 ducklings?
idunno.gif

You're not feeding them medicated chick feed, are you? You said you had them in with chicks, so that is why I ask--many people feed chicks the medicated chick feed, which is fine for chicks, but not dor ducklings or ducks--it will kill them...you probably already know this, but just wanted to make sure....good luck and sorry about your loss!!

M@M@2four :

You're not feeding them medicated chick feed, are you? You said you had them in with chicks, so that is why I ask--many people feed chicks the medicated chick feed, which is fine for chicks, but not dor ducklings or ducks--it will kill them...you probably already know this, but just wanted to make sure....good luck and sorry about your loss!!

Quote:
smile.png

Thanks for asking. Most have recovered nicely. A few are still struggling. Thankfully my Sebastopol geese aren't having any problems. I wash my hands after handling the ducklings, and I don't know what diseases are shared between ducks and geese.

For the record....Ducklings can have medicated starter as long as the only medication in it is amprolium. That's what I raise all my call ducklings on.....and have for years. Ducklings can and will get cocci and die from it just like chicks and the amprolium is a preventative against that happening.

I'm glad yours are doing better.

Back
Top Bottom