Help needed to save the other baby chick, one of them died and I don't know how!!

alybobaly50

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
It started last night, I noticed the 1 of the baby chicks wasn't eating, drinking, chirping or moving as much as it usually would. Only slightly. And wasn't opening her eyes, she would open them for a split second then close. This morning it got worse and whenever I came to check on her, the other male baby chick was sitting ON her or very close to her. Then tonight, few hours ago.. I placed the baby chick on my hoodie and it took its' last breath.. Water coming out of her mouth and this time she couldn't open her eyes at ALL... She didn't even chirp. And 2 days ago, she chirped a lot and was very active.. She was always nice to me, more than the male baby chick.... I thought maybe the male hit her in the eye and she got an eye infection? But I am not sure. I rubbed her neck and kept her warm but I seriously can't cope w/ the fact she died on my hand and hoodie. :( Please help me save the other one, I'll make sure whatever it was.. Doesn't happen to him. The other one is way more active and aggressive and makes a lot of mess. That is why I think he might have done something.. But he might have also been trying to keep her warm by sitting very close with her.. I don't know. :( With temperature, day time I would always keep them inside my house in a cage and at night I would cover the cage up with a blanket and keep it outside. Food was available 24/7.

Hi,

Did they have a heat lamp? Keeping it outside/inside without a heat lamp would definitively kill a chick.

HS Pye

Oh, and I meant to mention that if you are new to raising chicks, there are good articles in the learning center.

No.... :( No heat lamp!! From the place I bought them they told me nothing about heat lamps!! Just told me to put them in a medium temperature which I tried my best to. My sister thinks that place gave me an already injured female chicken. But since it was active and well before this happened its definitely heat lamp... :/ I feel so guilty and thank you guys for helping... But why were her eyes shut and irritated?

Hi,

She could have been 'shutting down' right then. Everyone lives and learns, don't feel guilty ;).

HS Pye

Back
Top Bottom