HELP NEEDED

I am so sorry. I will say that the Australops that killed her probably shouldn't be necked, but at the end that is up to you. I would consider rehoming for them.

As for the cockerel, I would just keep him separate and not infected, and he should recover in a week or two, however you should monitor him carefully. If you see any signs of infection, get ahold of a vet.

Also, others are commenting about your space, and I would have to agree with them. Chickens have to have a lot of space. Is there any chance you could let them out to free-range? My friend built a PVA pipe and chicken mesh walker box for hers to keep them safe but also ranging. Would that be an option for you?

It's called debeaking I think and it's done in large poultry facilities however it does hurt the bird and can lower its quality of life.

Fix their feed and space issues before you consider cutting part of their face off.
@Dottypotty read this ^^^^^
Yes I have those.
A question though. A poultry person near me tolled me to clip the end of the girls beaks to stop the awful pecking. Is this actually correct? Sounds strange to me

I am so sorry. I will say that the Australops that killed her probably shouldn't be necked, but at the end that is up to you. I would consider rehoming for them.

As for the cockerel, I would just keep him separate and not infected, and he should recover in a week or two, however you should monitor him carefully. If you see any signs of infection, get ahold of a vet.

Also, others are commenting about your space, and I would have to agree with them. Chickens have to have a lot of space. Is there any chance you could let them out to free-range? My friend built a PVA pipe and chicken mesh walker box for hers to keep them safe but also ranging. Would that be an option for you?
and this is what you guys aren’t getting they free range all day long expect from the morning where they lay. So there out free ranging from 10 am or earlier. Plus you guys need to remember there pen is open is in the morning to where the fence is there out there. So space isn’t an issue in my eyes in the morning. There out and about. I’ll make the mods to the pen, as I get them up for 6am but they go out at 9 or 10. I don’t keep them caged all day

the build is starting as soon as the rain ends. The pen will be expanded massively, as for the coop ive already sorted that.
The layers they eat like made and haven’t had pecks since.

so yeh the chickens free range from 10am till 9pm so I feel you guys think I cage them in the pen, which I don’t do. They have the area outside then I let them free at 10am. They all seem to lay all there eggs, if I do the routine wrong like say I try to let them free range earlier they’ll stay in the pen looking at me strangely.

Don’t want you guys thinking I keep them locked in there, no way. I feel there’s been a misunderstanding or misreading, they seem to have there routine I can let them out to free range they go pretty much far as we’re in a farm and they all come back when they find it’s the right time. I can’t ever heard them up. Thanks for all the help guys, I just wish the rain would stop haha

Last edited:
That’s there space in the morning, which I feel is plenty.. then there let out to free range. Recently I’ve let them out since yesterday at 8am and free range from 10am

Attachments

• A22B6D23-C4BB-4A69-AAB9-5F7596B18F2D.jpeg
    A22B6D23-C4BB-4A69-AAB9-5F7596B18F2D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 937F269D-B4C0-4538-8BEC-AA18DDFD8410.jpeg
    937F269D-B4C0-4538-8BEC-AA18DDFD8410.jpeg
    970 KB · Views: 8
  • 2F67573B-B6F9-41D3-A43F-8A98CF975B24.jpeg
    2F67573B-B6F9-41D3-A43F-8A98CF975B24.jpeg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 8
From reading it seems to me they are needing to be fed high quality protein feed and stop with the corn. They are hungry and it's showing in a horrible way.They are pecking each other alive trying to get protein. Free ranging is all good and well but high quality feed should also be offered because it's not like you have a webcam attached to them seeing that they are eating enough and getting enough nutrients while free ranging. I'd separate the wounded until healed (Blue kote spray works wonders), feed better quality food and see how things go from there. I would never de-beak because that does not fix the reason they are pecking each other to death not to mention it's cruel as heck.

From reading it seems to me they are needing to be fed high quality protein feed and stop with the corn. They are hungry and it's showing in a horrible way.They are pecking each other alive trying to get protein. Free ranging is all good and well but high quality feed should also be offered because it's not like you have a webcam attached to them seeing that they are eating enough and getting enough nutrients while free ranging. I'd separate the wounded until healed (Blue kote spray works wonders), feed better quality food and see how things go from there. I would never de-beak because that does not fix the reason they are pecking each other to death not to mention it's cruel as heck.
Thanks for your feedback. So cut the corn completely ? They’ve eaten 2 whole chicken feeder tub fulls. That’s what I’ve always fed them is corn. Mind you the pecking has stopped for now. I have cctv watching them all morning and not once peck so far. The cockerel is doing fine I put the injured chicken with him and there getting on fine

Thanks for your feedback. So cut the corn completely ? They’ve eaten 2 whole chicken feeder tub fulls. That’s what I’ve always fed them is corn. Mind you the pecking has stopped for now. I have cctv watching them all morning and not once peck so far. The cockerel is doing fine I put the injured chicken with him and there getting on fine
For now I would cut the corn. I only offer corn as small treat, never as a food source.

The decision has been made to neck the chicken who’s doing this appalling behaviour. Pen was done today but this chicken has gotten worse. The rest of the flock is happy. It was a tough decision but I was tolled when a chicken does this they go into cannibalism mode. Shame, my best layer but I can’t be having this. Thanks for all the help everyone, the space issue made her worse. It must be a change thing.

appreciate your feedback guys.

The decision has been made to neck the chicken who’s doing this appalling behaviour. Pen was done today but this chicken has gotten worse. The rest of the flock is happy. It was a tough decision but I was tolled when a chicken does this they go into cannibalism mode. Shame, my best layer but I can’t be having this. Thanks for all the help everyone, the space issue made her worse. It must be a change thing.

appreciate your feedback guys.
Sorry you had to do that. I understand however. I am sure it was hard. You did what had to be done to keep the other birds safe. I am new to chickens so I am learning a lot from this group. Thank you for sharing your solution even though it was the last thing you wanted to have to happen. I hope the other birdies enjoy all the changes you made and are happy and healthy now. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom