HELP NEEDED

Sorry you had to do that. I understand however. I am sure it was hard. You did what had to be done to keep the other birds safe. I am new to chickens so I am learning a lot from this group. Thank you for sharing your solution even though it was the last thing you wanted to have to happen. I hope the other birdies enjoy all the changes you made and are happy and healthy now. ^_^
Thanks for the lovely comment :). I’m glad you decided to get some chickens, make sure you fox proof and predator your setup.Mine so well done now nothing can get in there not even a ant lol. I’m also always making modifications, like my pen and coop.
Anyhow the chicken has been necked, was the hardest thing to do. But the girls haven’t been pecked or fighting, and the cockerels back in and they haven’t batted an eye lid. Glad it a stopped but will monitor them I’m hoping the others won’t go like this chicken.

im sad because I had 5 chickens and a cockerel now I have 3 😔 it’s weird seeing a little setup.

Oh can I ask a question? So this flock of birds shall I wait a few years till they pass of old age and then I get more chickens? I don’t want it to get more and then start another fight

Thanks for the lovely comment :). I’m glad you decided to get some chickens, make sure you fox proof and predator your setup.Mine so well done now nothing can get in there not even a ant lol. I’m also always making modifications, like my pen and coop.
Anyhow the chicken has been necked, was the hardest thing to do. But the girls haven’t been pecked or fighting, and the cockerels back in and they haven’t batted an eye lid. Glad it a stopped but will monitor them I’m hoping the others won’t go like this chicken.

im sad because I had 5 chickens and a cockerel now I have 3 😔 it’s weird seeing a little setup.

Oh can I ask a question? So this flock of birds shall I wait a few years till they pass of old age and then I get more chickens? I don’t want it to get more and then start another fight
As i understand it they don't know age but they know size and a smaller bird will get killed. Also any new comer should be quarantined to be sure they are healthy. Then there will often be fighting as the "pecking order" is reestablished. With everything you have just gone threw personally I would wait a while before adding any new birdies or have a separate setup for the new comers. Now that you have the Cockrell, maybe if you have a broody hen you can let her try to hatch a few. That seems to be the easiest way to add new birds to the flock. But that also has a host of issues as well. My advice is to let them calm down from this upset and do lots of research before making any decisions. That is what I am trying to do. ^_^

2 or 3 hens to one rooster is going to be a bit much for the hens. He's going to exhaust them. You'll either need to keep him separated to give them a break or get more hens to lighten their load. But like the other poster stated if you get more you need to make sure they are healthy and slowly acclimate them together.
I have some that I got a year ago and they still don't really get along. The older girls are constantly reminding the younger hens who's the boss. Luckily none have ever got to the point of hurting each others like yours did.

Back
Top Bottom