HELP NEEDED

Is it possible they are eating too much of the corn feed? My understanding is that layer feed should make up 90% of a laying hens diet. They like the corn better but it's a treat, not a meal. They need more protein to accommodate laying eggs every day and if they aren't eating enough of the layer pellets then they might be finding protein in more gruesome ways.

I also think that your coop and pen are too small. My hens had a 4x4 coop attached to a 5x8 run and they could exit the coop and enter the run at their choice because I predator proofed the whole thing. I let them have reign of the rest of the yard from 3 until sun down when I would lock them back up in the run and they would hop back into the coop to roost right as the sun went down. Enlarging your run and predator proofing it so they have full time access to it might be an easy enough fix. I made my run shaped like an A frame so that I only had to build and wire 3 walls instead of 4.
Thanks for the info, yes i could extend there pen easily. But thinking of it they are only in there for 1-2 hours at best and there let out the pen altogether into the space with the fence, then at 12pm there let to free range.

I can easily get my drill out and make the change, but they rarely use the pen if im honest, which is why i never made it bigger, they tend to be more outside of it then inside.

I could look into it though if it helps the issue im having.

Was tolled by many people a cockerel would stop this behavior. It did In the day until the morning, usually when I let them out at 8.30 there still mid roost.
As the coop space is good its in the corner. I've just got them up now at 6am and they're still roosting.
They advised me to get them out earlier.
But thinking of it they are only in there for 1-2 hours at best and there let out the pen altogether into the space with the fence, then at 12pm there let to free range.
They need more space.

Mine are all roosting at Sunrise too, but give them another 5 minutes and they want out!!
If they are all confined to that small of a space until 8:30 or after - they are going to get on each others nerves. You have Large Fowl - they need space. I would let them out at Sunrise.

Any birds that are injured need to be separated out and treated. The cockerel's injuries are very obvious - so he's going to be picked at.

They need more space.

Mine are all roosting at Sunrise too, but give them another 5 minutes and they want out!!
If they are all confined to that small of a space until 8:30 or after - they are going to get on each others nerves. You have Large Fowl - they need space. I would let them out at Sunrise.

Any birds that are injured need to be separated out and treated. The cockerel's injuries are very obvious - so he's going to be picked at.
I'll update you all on a build. I'll make the pen much bigger, as for the coop I'll be modifying it also.

I gave them layer pellets today and have had no pecks or fighting, they've free roamed since 9am till 8pm. very impressed, they eat nearly a whole feed tubs worth of pellets, never seen such craziness they must've needed it.
Also I introduced the cockerel and they all got on fine, mind he is separated for now.

My idea for the coop is to add another frame to the front and attach it to a second hand coop, due to covid19 I can't access my nearest farmers market, and deliveries and Mail are non existent at the moment.

Also please guys tell me what I need to build on to my setup.

I've always fed them corn.. Like ive always done,
Unless they have a lot of forage, corn generally will not provide enough nutrients. I would focus on feeding them a nutritionally balanced poultry feed and give a small amount of treats like corn.

How is the cockerel doing? Have you been able to treat his wounds?

Unless they have a lot of forage, corn generally will not provide enough nutrients. I would focus on feeding them a nutritionally balanced poultry feed and give a small amount of treats like corn.

How is the cockerel doing? Have you been able to treat his wounds?
what type of food? Cockerel is doing well, wound has tried up and have been constanlty disenfecting it, i let him out in the day away from the flock. He's a little naughty thing

Yes I have those.
A question though. A poultry person near me tolled me to clip the end of the girls beaks to stop the awful pecking. Is this actually correct? Sounds strange to me
It's called debeaking I think and it's done in large poultry facilities however it does hurt the bird and can lower its quality of life.

Fix their feed and space issues before you consider cutting part of their face off.

Back
Top Bottom