Help needed

Maisiepup

Chirping
Sep 9, 2019
Scottish Borders uk
Hi all. I have a three year old gander who lost his female companion late last year. I was given another female for him about a month ago but as soon as anyone shows interest in her he will attack her. Both have been hand reared and the male is usually my shadow when I’m out and about. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do separate them when they fight but it’s not nice to watch and so far it’s just been feathers and not skin that’s been injured. We are in the uk. Both have a large coop and run for nights and a large garden and pond to spend time in so they can get away from eachother . Help please

Hi all. I have a three year old gander who lost his female companion late last year. I was given another female for him about a month ago but as soon as anyone shows interest in her he will attack her. Both have been hand reared and the male is usually my shadow when I’m out and about. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do separate them when they fight but it’s not nice to watch and so far it’s just been feathers and not skin that’s been injured. We are in the uk. Both have a large coop and run for nights and a large garden and pond to spend time in so they can get away from eachother . Help please
oh dear that must be hard for you to watch . i don’t know what to do but be patient i’m sure that @Goosebaby will have good advice when she logs on. and @JRies too.

Put them to bed tonight and they both followed me fine Lucy walked passed me and Tao pounced. It’s horrible to watch. Managed to separate them after getting battered by wings 🙂 they are now spending the night separate although just chicken wire between them… not sure if that’s the right thing or not…..

When I brought my goose home for my gander who had lived with Muscovy for 5 yrs and had never seen a goose before he didn't like her either I could not put them together at night he would attack her so they slept in the same coop but with a fence barrier between them it took from August until Jan of the next year for him to fall in love but he did. Give them time that is about all you can do. If they can live side by side where he can't get to her and there aren't any other birds for him to fixate on he should accept her eventually.

I don't have many good suggestions. its breeding season. Such a hard time. Geese bond to pheromones he may have replaced his mates with yours. It will take him time to adjust. Mis Lydia has some good advice. I have a large flock and divide them up for breeding every year. My older ganders have all chosen there partners. Boy if I get that wrong they let me know when I separate for breeding. I have one gander that is perched at the fence all day letting me know the love of his life is with another boy. This happens every year. She has 2 boyfriends. As soon as she stops laying they all get to be together again. The trio spend the rest of the year together.

Last edited:
Hi they get on fine as long as I or my partner don’t go anywhere near Lucy that sets Tao into attacking her. They are my pets so I spend a lot of time with them. Do I continue to do that?. It makes letting them out and putting away a fight….

I suggest putting them both into kennels next to each other and take them for a drive. Removing them from property and placing them in an uncomfortable situation will likely force them to bond quicker. If you can take them to a friend's yard to release from kennels for an hour or so, that is even better. Good luck!

Hi they get on fine as long as I or my partner don’t go anywhere near Lucy that sets Tao into attacking her. They are my pets so I spend a lot of time with them. Do I continue to do that?. It makes letting them out and putting away a fight….
If he loved you before breeding season he will love you after. Geese have long memories but this time of year out of control hormones. I call this hissing season. Boys that come running to me 9 months a year hiss at me every morning when I greet them.

I don’t get attacked by them they attack eachother.. need more than chicken wire between them as they fight through it and pulled it apart… separated them and got a nip on my wrist as thanks….

Back
Top Bottom